Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Quick, Simple and Delicious Shepherd's Pie

While at the beach last week, I made this shepherd's pie recipe. I did not want to spend time cooking because our time together was short, so I devised this quick, simple and delicious recipe from one that I had in my files. It took me only 35 minutes to create. First I sauteed chopped onions. Then I added 5 pounds lean hamburger, and browned that thoroughly. I added to the hamburger and onions, 1 can of Campbell's tomato soup and stirred it together. I covered the bottoms of two sprayed 9 x 13 inch pans.
I followed the microwave instructions for the three 2lb. packs of mashed potatoes then emptied each of them in a big bowl and stirred them. I added to this portion 3 TB. of butter, 1 -8 oz. container of light sour cream, 1-tea. of garlic powder, and light shakes of salt and pepper. I stirred this mixture thoroughly and covered the hamburger in each pan.
At this point, I took one bag of shredded sharp cheddar and covered the potatoes in each pan. I refrigerated both casseroles until time to bake. At that time I put them into a 350 degree preheated oven and baked for 35 minutes. I will tell you that this recipe was enough for two separate meals for 10 people. It does freeze well if you only need one at a time. I also served a garden salad and a simple dessert, that might be on a future posting. As you can see, this truly was about as easy of a dinner as one could put together ...unless the choice was to order pizza, which might cost more considering that this created two meals. I would be safe in saying, that it is one of those recipes that everyone of us enjoyed, just in case you are ever in need of a quick, simple and good tasting meal for a hungry group. The store bought mashed potatoes are really mashed potatoes, which is a good thing if time is limited. Peeling, cooking and mashing your potatoes would work just as well, if time permits. I am thankful for the choice.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails