Friday, October 10, 2008

Sweet, Mellow" Pear Bread"

I found these sorry looking fellows, in the fruit drawer of my refrigerator. I had purchased them a week or two ago, with the intent of making this "pear bread" recipe that I came across while paging through "Home Cooking" magazine. One of the featured articles was, entitled "Pure Pear Perfection". I like most recipes that include pears so I decided to try this one with my soft, very ripe pears.
Instead of using the two greased larger bread pans that it calls for, I used my small eight loaf bread pan. I cut the tempeture down to 350 degrees, which I find works best with my oven. I cut the time down to 25-30 minutes, because of the smaller loaves. Also, instead of adding the sugar and butter on the top, I pulled out my container of crumb topping that I keep in the freezer for such a time as this. I use it for most of my muffins, my apple crisp, or any fruit crisp and my quick breads that I make. The crumb topping recipe comes from a "Martha Stewart" magazine. Here is the recipe; Combine 1 3/4 cups of flour, 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon of coarse salt. Blend in 15 tablespoons unsalted butter with your fingers or a pastry blender until small lumps form. Use topping right away, or freeze it. Sometimes I give a plastic container of this topping in a gift basket, along with some red apples and a favorite "apple crisp" recipe. However you use it, I find it so very convenient to keep in my freezer.
Eight little loaves of "pear bread", all from some overly ripe, brown pears...it works for me. I will serve some of these right away and wrap the rest individually and put in the freezer. By the way, this recipe will go in my file. Sweet and mellow is a good way to describe the taste.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails