Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Long Time Favorite" Poppy Seed Bread" Recipe


Do you have some recipes that are old favorites...ones that you rely on year after year? Well, that is how this recipe is for me. Years ago, a good friend Arlene, brought this to a breakfast we both attended. I thought it tasted so good! In fact, I think most of the women there, requested the recipe. With Arlene and her baking reputation, that is a regular occurance when she brings her baked goods to events.

I really like recipes where you can take all of the ingredients, add them all at once, stir well, pour in pans, and bake. Quick, simple and well worth the time. Last evening I baked this recipe, again, since I needed some Valentine Day gifts. How do you like my heart spatula? One year my mother sent all of her girls heart spatulas from" Williams and Sonoma", for a gift on Valentine's Day. I think of her every time I use it.


I took one of the loaves of poppy seed bread, wrapped it in a folded kitchen towel, tied it with a ribbon and a homemade heart card, made with a cut out heart and a sticker.


In this simple package, I placed a loaf of poppy seed bread wrapped in plastic, in the side of a kitchen hot pad along with two packages of hot cappucccino, added a bow and a homemade tag. With a simple recipe, pre-made cards and some quickly done bows...this was almost as fast as writing out a card and sending it, although it sure does taste better.
By the way, it works well to freeze loaves of this bread. Thank you Arlene for sharing this recipe.

7 comments:

LisaShaw said...

Judy, this is great! Boy you have terrific ideas for blessing gifts and good 'eats' as they say. Love it! I find so many ideas from you. Thank you!

Have a blessed day.

Stacey said...

What an adorable idea! I haven't had poppyseed bread in years. Sounds like a great gift to me.

Judy said...

What a great idea! I have a lemon poppyseed cake recipe that has been a favorite for years...and I might just borrow your 'packaging' idea. Thanks for sharing.

Tracy said...

Oh how I love these ideas! And Lemon Poppy Seed bread...yummy!!! Thanks for sharing that recipe. This looks like yet another one I'll have to try!

Blessings,
Tracy

Happy@Home said...

The bread sounds delicious and your packaging ideas are darling. I also like the spatula from your mom and the heart shaped measuring spoons. Very cute.

lglessner said...

Oh Judy...you never cease to amaze me!!! If this was the bread you gave me the other day it was delicious...if it is not...I am sure it is delicious!!! I missed a couple of days...please wish your Mom a "Happy Birthday from me!" I am sure you made it very special for her!!! Thank you for being such a blessing to so many people!!! God has given you a special gift!!!

cherry said...

That is such a cute idea! Wrapping in a kitchen towell...what a neat gift. Every year for my birthday my Mom always bakes me a poppyseed bundt cake with glaze....YUM. That is horrible that you know a child that has recently passed as well from cancer...little kids should NOT have to go through that. Horrible disease. cherry

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails