Saturday, February 21, 2009

"Crispy Waffles" For A Saturday Morning Breakfast

Saturday morning breakfast is my husband's favorite. It is the only breakfast of the week that he gets to eat "big". This morning I made Belgium waffles, which rates right up there in his list of favorites. My dad introduced us to Belgium waffles many years ago. His favorite way to eat them was with ice cream in the middle...like an ice cream sandwich. One year for my birthday I received an electric waffle maker from Williams and Sonoma. Most times the plates of waffles that I serve look like the one above. This morning I served a plate like the one below.



This time I added peaches that I froze last summer, sprinkled them with powdered sugar, and finished with a small dollop of whipped cream. He said this may be his new favorite.

These peaches that I thawed from the freezer, are one of the most used of my frozen foods. Last summer, on one of my visits to a neighboring farm, I picked up an extra basket of peaches. They were exceptionally sweet peaches. I peeled them, halved them and then took my potato masher and mashed them, but only partially. I added some sugar. Since they were so sweet it did not require much(just according to taste). I dished it into plastic containers and froze it immediately. Over the winter, I thaw these peaches and put them over waffles, pancakes, I top pieces of yellow cake with vanilla pudding, the peaches and whipped cream, or I scoop vanilla ice cream, the peaches and add crushed shortbread cookies, and a dollop of whipped cream. All of these selections are so easy and taste so good! Like eating fresh peaches all year around.

The recipe that I use year after year for these waffles, I discovered in a "Vera Bradley Cookbook". The recipe was shared by Barbara Bradley Baekgaard, President and Co-Founder of Vera Bradley. Here is her wonderful, simple recipe; In one big bowl you add, 2 cups of baking mix(I use Bisquick), 1 egg, 1 1/3 cups of club soda, 1/2 cup of vegtable oil. Combine and mix with a wire whisk until smooth. Pour into a preheated waffle iron. Bake until golden brown. Serve with your favorite toppings. I was told that this recipe works for pancakes, if you do not own a waffle iron. I never tried it though. When my daughters were in high school, we would sometimes have "waffle bar parties". We would make the waffles, and include toppings for the friends to choose from; vanilla and chocolate ice cream balls, chocolate syrup, fresh strawberries, and chopped nuts. It was always a hit and a simple way to feed lots of teenagers.

5 comments:

Shelley said...

I need a waffle maker! You have my mouth watering! I'm think about strawberries, ice cream, peaches...oh the possibilities are endless! :-)

Happy@Home said...

Your waffles look delicious. I had to laugh because my husband likes to put ice cream between his waffles too. I think I would prefer some of those fresh-frozen peaches. I hope I can remember to try that this summer. I love peaches and that sounds easy enough.

LisaShaw said...

Judy, you need to own a cafe or something.

I grew up on waffles and still enjoy them. I like the more traditional ones and I too used ice cream in the middle with some molases when I was younger.

Love ya and enjoy your breakfast together.

Judy said...

I think I should have been at your house for breakfast this morning! A most interesting waffle recipe...I will have to give that a try. I've never heard of using club soda...but your waffles look great.

And freezing fresh peaches in small containers is a great idea. I still can peaches...just to use for toppings...but the juice always gets discarded. This makes more sense!

ajwatson722 said...

YUM! I wish I had been there. Somehow your waffles taste better than mine ever do! Dad was pretty fortunate to be able to enjoy those this morning.:) Hope you are having a great day! love you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails