Thursday, February 19, 2009

For Dinner Again...Upon Request

I do not know how you do dinner in your home but, for us if there is a favorite on the part of my family, it is requested often. The simplicity of this meal is a bit embarrasing to share, but my husband told me that I must share it with you, my blogging friends. So, just in case you are looking for a quick, simple and inexpensive dinner, and you like tacos...this may be one to try. In the refrigerated section of the grocery store, I purchase this container of "Chi-Chi's" ground beef taco mix. I open the sealed plastic topping and put in the microwave for a few minutes(I forget exactly how long, possibly 5 minutes).


Onto a jelly roll pan I empty a bag of nachos(I think it works best to use the bite size), add the hot taco beef mixture over the top, and a bag of shredded cheese(mexican mix, or sharp cheddar, or whatever your preference). At this point I put in the oven, on the top shelf, and broil until cheese is totally melted.



Remove from oven, add chopped lettuce(unless you only have a bag of baby greens, the reason for the different shades of lettuces on the picture), and chopped tomatoes over the top. Serve with taco sauce and sour cream. At this point, my family transfers this to individual dinner plates, adding the salsa and sour cream, and mixing it together. Somewhat like a big taco salad. See, it is almost too simple, but the taste is so good(to us)!! Can also be used for an appetizer, or as in our case...dinner.

14 comments:

Shelley said...

I don't think we have that Chichi's mix at our grocery store but I wish we did! I love those nacho combo!

Marilou said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marilou said...

Ok first of all...cool new background, i love your pictures! Especially the one of "little you" in the litchen, mixing something up! Who knew, way back then, that mom had such a "baking marvel" on her hands??

Secondly, that is quite the beautiful pic of you on the side of your blog! It looks like it could be a professionally taken picture, I don't want to say for sure, it just has that "quality" look to it! :)

Thirdly, I think between my taco pie and your nacho appetizer, we could throw a freakin' Mexican Lollapalooza some nite. Hmmm....and I have JUST the outfit for such an occasion. I'm not going to tell you about it just yet, that's all I'll say for now...watch and wait!!

lindsey said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comments. This meal looks amazing and my family loves Mexican. We wouldn't be able to buy the ready made taco mix in the UK but I could make it in advance and freeze it for when they come and visit.
Thanks for sharing!

LisaShaw said...

WOW!!! (SAID WITH MOUTH HANGING OPEN AS I ATTEMPT TO DELICATELY PLACE MY FACE INTO MY LAPTOP SCREEN AND INTO YOUR KITCHEN) smile...

I have not seen that chichis locally.

Looks delicious. The meal that I used to be asked to make all the time was Baked Ziti then after a few years it became Chili, and of course chicken wings but in the last three months hubby and my teen daughter keep asking me to make my pepper steak and onions. I don't do it often because I don't cook a lot of red meat but I have to say it's hot on the menu over here.

Love you Sweetie. I'm feeling better today. Thanks for your love and prayers on my blog.

Hey! No photos of the grandbabies today? I so enjoy seeing them.

molly said...

I will have to see if we get CHI CHis in Texas! That looks great! THanks for stopping by for a visit I can see we are kindred spirits from a far-

Connie said...

You have so many easy and great recipes that I haven't tried. I am the most boring cook. I need to get busy and try some of these for my hubby and I. That looks so good! Connie

Stacey said...

Love that idea! I've never seen that at my store but sometimes I do basically the same thing with taco meat. I usually make way too much taco meat at a time so I have it on hand when needed.

Sheryl said...

Love simple!! I need to look for that at my grocery. Mine would not look nearly as pretty as yours, but it's the taste that counts.

Thanks for sharing!

Lovella ♥ said...

Judy .. .we do this with Stagg chili but I never thought to add the salad toppings over it all .. oh it looks fantastic. . and we'll do it your way on Saturday .. .our typical day for this treat.

Judy said...

This looks wonderful...and easy...and now I know I don't have to make the taco sauce from scratch. We don't have ChiChi's up here...but I'll try Lovella's recommendation of Stagg Chili.

PS Blogger has been giving me problems...and I can't seem to leave a comment...but I'll keep trying.

LisaShaw said...

Judy, since I'm still not feeling 100% I do not feel like cooking a big dinner...so I thought of you. I'm trying to decide now between this or the Homemade Individual Pizzas from your other post.

Thanks for always being a blessing. Love you.

Tracy said...

I've never seen this taco meat, but could mix up my own...this looks yummy and still simple...my favorite kind of dinners! I especially love the photo showing all the colorful salad toppings! Thanks for another simple yet tasty idea!

Anonymous said...

This looks good. We had taco salad yesterday. I will have to try your recipe :>) Thanks

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails