Thursday, July 26, 2012




This book is one that sits on my coffee table.  It was given to me years ago, and I like the message it portrays.  The author shares some helpful insights on ways to "putting the heart into your home."
She shares that homes should make thier occupants feel completed and satisfied, and that your home should create a "feel-good" home.


I want our home to offer those that live here and those who visit, the gift of comfort.
It should offer places where one feels welcomed and relaxed.  Our home is made up of things we love, and many of it's contents hold sentiment.  It does not matter if it is not a showplace, because most people's homes are not.
What matters most is that it offers down-home comfort and warmth.  A shelter from the world outside it's doors.  I like the wicker settee that I discovered at a local thrift store.  My husband painted it and my friend covered the cushions with new fabric.  It has become my favorite seat in our home.


Lighting is a big aspect of our home, and it always sets the mood of coziness that says, "come on in and stay a while", to all who enter the door.
This picture was taken a few weeks ago, during a rain storm.  Despite the storm, it gave us a safe feeling to sit here and watch it all.



A fresh rose from my garden, adds a special touch to the small powder room at our backdoor.  Another way of letting my family know, that I care.  This rose was brought in after the rain today, and I like the raindrops on it.  It's exquisite beauty, far surpasses any artwork we may have in our home.   Fortunately, my roses are doing fairly well this summer.




I found this picture recently, while going through past picture albums.  This old table was on my porch a few years ago.    The little pink stars and old glass globes, added pretty lighting to the porch that summer.  Flea market finds are how I decorate my porch each summer.





More than the decor, lighting, contents, or the furniture...I want the welcome and the memories made in our home, to be what really matters the most.
In our world today, our homes should offer shelter, comfort, security and protection.
I want to thank Jean Lemmon for sharing her thoughts and her insights, in her book, "Putting
The Heart in your Home".  It serves as a good reminder to me of what really matters,  in the decorating realm of life.  The pictures in the book, are beautiful, as evidenced in the following picture, shared from one of it's pages.
The picture depicts an open invitation to sit down and unwind.  Would you agree?



Thanks for stopping by this evening!

13 comments:

Stacey said...

So pretty Judy. :) You should give your thoughts on decorating more often! I read this neat post today and it goes along with your post too. Great minds think alike.

http://www.shabbynest.blogspot.com/2012/07/making-ourselves-happy-at-home.html

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

It is so obvious that your home is filled with love and warmth and is a cozy place to visit! Sweet photos!

Kris said...

So pretty!!

corners of my life said...

From reading your blog for the past year(s) it is clear that you are an expert at "putting the heart into your home".

Debbie said...

I LOVED this....You have DEFINITELY created a spot that welcomes and comforts. I love your porch. I can imagine sitting there and sippin tea or something. Have a wonderful week-end!

Judy said...

I totally agree! I have a book with much the same title as Jean Lemmon's, but by another author...with so many good ideas about making your home a welcoming place. I know I would feel most welcome at your place...on your porch or in your home. I'm sure your guests are reluctant to leave!

momof3girls said...

Oh I love your attitude about your home. I also like the lighting, I agree all that does make a home comfy and it today's world I think people value that more and more!! What a great place to practice hospitality from!!

Happy@Home said...

Your porch looks as though it belongs in that book. So pretty, welcoming and cozy. You, undoubtedly, possess the gift of hospitality, Judy.
I own that same book and look through the pretty pictures often.
The photo of you and your granddaughter is so very sweet.

lindsey said...

Looks like a great book. Your home always looks so welcoming to me, in the photo's you share of your family and friends and your lovely furniture and decorations. I am sure any one who visits will feel truly blessed by their time with you.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love your front porch, Judy! You home does sound like a warm and welcoming place for family and friends...just like your blog!

Kathleen said...

If anyone has a flare for putting heart into a home, it's you, Judy. You have an eye for detail, and for classy drama. Something tells me I'd feel welcome, safe & nurtured at your house.

I'm putting that on my Bucket List!

Anneliese said...

This is true hospitality... what you are writing about. I only learned recently that hospitality comes from "hospital" duh! A home is supposed to be a place you feel cared for.

Kelli said...

Your porch is so pretty and inviting. I could picture myself sitting there right now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails