Tuesday, July 26, 2011



In the midst of our complex lives there comes some moments of joy that tend to add encouragement to daily life.   These moments are most often unexpected and can easily be overlooked as the blessings that they are.  Here are a few  simple "smile makers" that stood out for me, in the last few weeks.




I needed a gift recently for a friend.  I stopped at my favorite roadside farm stand and discovered this arrangement on the old wooden bench.  It was picked and arranged by the two dear ladies who own the farm, and the best part...the $6.00 dollar price tag (including the white basket).  Don't you think this would be a gift you would enjoy receiving?



A few weeks ago, I walked into my husband's "organized/messy" :)  office in our home, and I was so delighted to be serenaded by an unexpected concert.  Now, think about it, how often do you come upon an unexpected concert?   There they were, my husband playing his harmonica, one granddaughter strumming a small guitar, and the other two playing  harmonicas.  Oh, I can't tell you the way it all blessed my heart at that moment.  For one of them, it was her first time ever to be attempting to play a harmonica, but she did not let that hinder her efforts.  The smiles on the little one's faces will remain with me for a long time.






I enjoy the privilege of playing "Travel Scrabble" with my mother, when we are on road trips.  Recently, while my husband drove, her and I played games of Scrabble.  For both of us, this is definitely a rare happening, but so much fun when we do have the opportunity.  It certainly helps the time go by quickly, when we are concentrating on our game.  Do any of you play "Travel Scrabble" during your road trips?





Another rare, and unexpected blessing for me, was the privilege of babysitting our little granddaughter who lives in another state from us.  We kept her for her parents, so that they could celebrate their 5th Anniversary together.  We had time to give her our undivided attention and believe me, that was a real blessing for me. 






On a recent occasion, I had quiet evening all to myself, and I need that.  It is rare for me to have uninterrupted time to read, to think, and to reflect on my life.  I feel like that is a crucial element for each of us in our lives.  In our busy, demanding, and fast paced lives, time to be quiet and reflect is so important.

This is all I have to share on a warm Tuesday evening.  Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you have some unexpected moments of joy that bring a smile to your heart today.

5 comments:

Miss Debbie said...

Two of my children, my DIL and I like scrabble. Since it is usually just the hubby and I traveling together these days, there's no one to play with in the car. I usually do crosswords or sudoku. The flowers are beautiful...wish I had a roadside stand like that. Sweet... grandpa and the kiddos making music together. I bet that won't be the last time! :-)

Debbie said...

I enjoyed this! And that 6 dollar basket of flowers was soo pretty! What a price tag...I read your previous post too. What a nice looking couple. Congrats to them. Hope you have a lovely evening. Debbie

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I have been taking some reflective time....A hard thing to come by but so worth it....and so needed

momof3girls said...

Unexpected moments of joy are such a blessing! I love your attitude of gratitude!! Thanks for the reminder to enjoy life!

Kathleen said...

Oh I do so love your brand of sharing!

P.S. I had no idea there was such a thing as Travel Scrabble. I'm all over that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails