Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Wanted...a wreath to hang on my back door.
Needed... one foam wreath from the craft section of the local dollar store.
Cost...1.00
and the boxwood bush outside the back door.
I cut shorter sections of stems of boxwood and stuck it in the foam wreath, filling in the spaces as I turned the wreath.
Added a bow made using ribbon from the dollar store.
To hang the wreath, I folded a long piece of wire around the top of it and taped it with packing tape at the top of the door.
Time required to make the wreath...1/2 hour


I am not sure how long this will stay fresh although my experiences with boxwoods assure me it will last until I am ready to hang my Christmas wreath.



If you don't need a door wreath, you can make the wreath and add an inexpensive strand of battery operated led lights to use for special occasions.
Strands of these pretty lights can be purchased at craft stores or Christmas stores. You can purchase them for a few dollars and use them over and over again.



You can set a glass pedestal bowl in the middle of the wreath and fill with your favorite pudding, cut up fresh fruit, or any favorite dessert. I have, on real special occasions, dished ice cream balls in the glass bowl and put it in the freezer. When ready to serve, place pedestal bowl in the center of the wreath. It would make a beautiful and unique centerpiece for your dinner table.


Or you can fill bowl with small pumpkins for Halloween or the Thanksgiving table, or to dress up an entrance table in the foyer. Turn on lights right before guests arrive.



If you make this wreath closer to the Christmas holidays, you could fill bowl with colored Christmas balls. These glittery silver and gold balls were also purchased from the dollar store.
Just a few simple and very inexpensive ideas on creating a boxwood wreath and suggestions on what one can do with the wreathes.

12 comments:

lindsey said...

You always do such a great job of decorating your home...I love the wreath and the glass bowl of pumpkins is so pretty...I want to come and visit!!

corners of my life said...

Charming projects. I love that the lights are battery operated so no cords are showing or in the way.

Shelley said...

Any decorating ideas - I am coming to you FIRST Judy! You always create something wonderful and unique! Love that wreath!!

Barb said...

Judy, everything (!) is so lovely but the wreath is simply stunning. I am so impressed.

Have a blessed week.

Barb ♥

Lovella ♥ said...

OH. . .do I want to trim my boxwood now? I think so.

Miss Debbie said...

Beautiful wreath! I bought a live wreath of Christmas greens one year for my door. I loved the way it looked and smelled, but they are too expensive these days... so I use the fake one year after year! Never thought of using boxwood. We have some but they aren't that pretty. You are so creative...inspiring!

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Your boxwood wreath is so pretty! Great job, and great price!! I'm linking to this at the Dolalr Store Crafts facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dollar-Store-Crafts/161233564682

Anonymous said...

I just love all of the neat crafts you show us. I like the idea of adding lights to flower arrangements. I wish I was in that cabin in your last post. It's absolutely beautiful! Your little granddaughter is so lovely. The couple looks so happy in their new role.

Crickit said...

The wreath is very pretty. I love the little lights too. They always add that little special touch.

Judy said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas with us. Always a source of inspiration...you are!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Both ideas are wonderful Judy! I hope I can find the same battery powered lights in a store near me.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I just love your boxwood wreath! I have boxwood bushes in my yard and would love to make one. You made the project seem so easy! It looks so nice and fresh!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails