Wednesday, June 15, 2011



The plastic ice cream cone filled with bubbles, costing only a dollar and smelling just like chocolate, was a perfect way to pass a warm late afternoon on the porch.  I held the cone and she held the ice cream with the bubble wand.  Together we filled the porch with beautiful, soft, every size bubbles.





Just watching her put her little heart and soul into such a fun adventure, made my day.  As I was sitting there helping her, it took me back to my childhood and the bubbles we blew back then.  I wondered when people first started blowing bubbles?   I learned upon a brief amount of research that;

~bubble blowers are among the oldest and most popular of children's toys.  Even when families had no money for toys, they could find a wire to twist into a circle and some soap for blowing bubbles.

~Around 1733, artis Jean Simeon Chardin painted Soap Bubbles, which depicted a young man leaning out a window and blowing a bubble with a pipe.

~The earliest patents for bubble blowers known date back to the 1920s.

~Blowers are truly part of our culture and today come in many unique and interesting containers.   This info came from http://bubbleblowers.com/history





Because the sun was brilliantly shining, the bubbles appeared to have many different colors.




Her little clenched fist is an indication of the seriousness with which she tackled this job.





All sizes of bubbles...our afternoon fun.  Enough excitement shared here today:)

12 comments:

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

What a fun afternoon. Bubbles and a chocolate ice cream cone... what more could a child (of any age) desire on a warm summer day!

Judy said...

You have me singing a song I learned as a child. It ends with these words...
This is what I like to do...
blowing bubbles here with you!

That is a child's play that is here to stay!

debi said...

I love to watch the little ones with bubbles. They bring them such a large amount of joy....and I get the same watching!

Hope all is well!

Hugs!

Love Being A Nonny said...

Don't you LOVE how bubbles make them happy? It's the simple things when they are young. I so treasure that time!

Sheila said...

i am 47 yrs old...and still love to watch children blow bubbles and blow them with them.. so much fun to do and watch.
thanks for the reminder and smile today

Marty said...

What a fun and creative post. I love bubbles!!!!

Melinda said...

Nothing says summer more than blowing bubbles.
How much fun for this little cutie!

Melinda

Kathleen said...

You know what, I still like blowing bubbles myself?!! What a fabulous sunny day passtime, made even better by a coloring session.

Bubbles & blessings,
Kathleen

Crickit said...

What a precious post! And a cute little bubble container...

Lovella ♥ said...

I love the dimple in her elbow. ..so cute.

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

I am watching our kitties chasing flies in the garden right now...your post has inspired me to get out the bubble wand and blow a few bubbles just to see what they might do.

Lovely post!

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

OK...got the kits playing with the soap bubbles up...and mentioned you as inspiration for the fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails