Wednesday, March 23, 2011




When you happen to sit down to coffee with a friend, and that friend looks at you across the table and tells you that she tried a recipe the evening before that was exceptional, I don't know about you, but I pay attention.  You see this dear friend and her daughter are both very good cooks.  Her daughter finds most of her recipes from "Cooking Light" magazines.  I listened as my friend went through the simple steps involved in making her dinner, knowing in my heart as she spoke, that I would be trying it in the very near future.  What convinced me more than ever that this would be true, was hearing how delicious it sounded without containing hundreds of calories.  Right now my thoughts ofter revolve around low calories and exercise since Summer will soon be here. 
Tonight I made this recipe for my family.  I did not make the sweet potatoes that she did, since I didn't have them on hand.  I made rice instead, but can I tell you, this lowfat meal was exceptional.  I just had to share it with you all, just incase you would like to make it.

I don't know the name of the recipe and neither do I care.    Let's just call it scrumptious chicken.

Recipe
1/4 cup of lowfat buttermilk
1 - 2 TB of dijon mustard ( which I did not have on hand much to my dismay, so I used honey mustard)
Mix these two ingredients in a mixing bowl.

Toast (in a frying pan for 3 minutes) 1/3 cup of Panko bread crumbs (watch carefully so they only get light brown and not too dark)
1/3 cup of finely chopped walnuts
2 TB of shredded parmesan cheese
3/4 tea. finely minced rosemary (I am not a fan of this so I added a bit of garlic powder instead)
1/4 tea. salt
1/4 tea. pepper
Mix all these dry ingredients in another mixing bowl.

Take one 6 ounce pack of fresh chicken cutlets or tenders.
Dredge the cutlets first in the buttermilk mixture and then in the dried mixture.  Put each completed piece on a wire rack that is placed on a cookie sheet.  My guess is that the wire rack placed on top of the cookie sheet allows the pieces of chicken to cook evenly.  This chicken should be cooked in a preheated 425 degree oven for 20 minutes or more if you feel it might be needed.  I baked mine for 25 minutes this evening and then turned the oven to 325 degrees until we were ready to eat.
I made some rice, and steamed some fresh broccoli.
My grandchildren were here for dinner also this evening and we ate every piece of the chicken.
It was an outstanding meal in our books. 
For dessert...clementines for each.


8 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This sounds delicious Judy! I always have chicken cutlets in my freezer and I'm always looking for new ways to prepare them. I'm writing this recipe down..Thanks!

Lovella ♥ said...

I love simple recipe ideas too and like you. .I pay attention when someone is giving them out.
I have done similar things with chicken cutlets. .but it is nice to be reminded of them yet again.

Miss Debbie said...

Sounds yummy! Always looking for new things to do with chicken.Thanks for sharing it!

lindsey said...

This sound yummy Judy. I love chicken with a crunchy coating...will be trying ou this recipe, thanks!

Kathleen said...

Did I hear "buttermilk"? Wow, what wouldn't be amazing with that as an ingredient!

Confession: I love & collect recipes. 98% of them I've never prepared. Oh well, at least I don't have to dust them :)

Hugs,
Kathleen

Judy said...

Thanks for sharing...sounds simply delicious. Chicken, broccoli and rice are the perfect combination!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

This sounds wonderful!!! And, I've NEVER been disappointed with a recipe of yours that I've tried.

Hope Spring is 'springin' in your neck of the woods.

Happy Thursday!

debi said...

Sounds great, I may give it a try! Hope all is well my friend :-)

Hugs

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails