Saturday, March 12, 2011





Today the sun is shining.  Signs of Spring are everywhere.  One would think my spirits would be lifted on this beautiful March weekend.  But, mine like many, many others in the world today, feel heavy.  Everywhere I turn are signs of the vast amount of destruction that happened in the far away country of Japan.  I just watched a search and rescue team from Fairfax County, Virginia, being interviewed as they prepare to embark on a rescue journey to Japan.  They are professional and are trained for this overwhelming task.  I am so thankful for men and women like this, and I can't imagine all that will be ahead for them in this latest catatrophic happening.  I watched them packing for the trip ahead of them.  I watched as their children and their families were there to say good bye to them.  I have a deep appreciation for all the military personnel that are already on the scene, or headed for duty.   Right now they are telling us via the news media, that one way we as Americans can help, is to make monetary contributions to the American Red Cross.  They are right now sending dozens of crews into the devastation.
Here in my little corner of the world, I look around me at the room I am working in with the sun streaming through the windows, and the carpet that is dry, and the electricity that is available for my every whim and wish.  When I get thirsty, I can walk to the kitchen refrigerator door and help myself to a cold, refreshing drink of water.  When I need a bathroom, one is readily available, as is a warm, sudsy shower at the beginning of my day.  At mealtime, I am privileged to sit down to a good meal, and can leave the table with my hunger satisfied.  I can walk outdoors and breath in fresh, country air.  I can crawl into my pillow top bed and have plenty of blankets to cover with.  Blessings like these and so many more, are mine on this Saturday afternoon.  Blessings that I never, ever want to take for granted...never, ever!  It is unimagineable all that I am seeing on the screen before me.  In a brief amount of time on a late Friday afternoon, the lives of thousands of people changed forever.  It just is far more than I can wrap my mind around on this "almost Spring" weekend. 
Feeling totally inadequate to help, but thankful for the powerful reminder I was given, to count my blessings, focus on my blessings and to remember the foolishness of complaining over the unimportant.
Thank you for stopping by.  Your visits and comments are true spirit lifters for me.

4 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

We really cannot begin to grasp how very blessed we are. Thank you for the reminder. We are indeed blessed!

Kathleen said...

Such worthy expressions, my friend. Like you, I have been mortified by nature's fury, and the many that have suffered losses I simply cannot fathom.

What joy is there in the simplicities of living. Your little blooms remind me that the greatest & most magnificent blessings in life are often bound up in such as these.

Blessings & comforts,
Kathleen

Christine said...

Keep shining your light on all of us. We need to be reminded of ALL our blessing during this dark time.

Judy said...

Well said, Judy. May we never take our blessings for granted...and may we always remember those who are suffering.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails