Thursday, August 25, 2011


A brilliant idea that I discovered years ago when my girls were in high school.
During sports events the refreshment stand would sell "walking tacos".  They were always a hit, and sold well.
A bag of tortilla chips that were crushed and the ingredients of tacos were added to the bag.  A plastic spoon and napkin made it complete.
Last evening, I served this for dinner, and I will share the very simple recipe with you, just in case you ever want to serve it to your family or friends.

Walking Tacos

1 1/2 pounds of lean ground beef, browned and fat drained
3 TB of water
1 envelope taco seasoning mix
1 15oz. can of black beans (drained)(optional)
6 single-serving-sized bags of tortilla or corn chips (whatever brand and flavor you choose)
2 cups of shredded lettuce (I used mixed baby greens)
1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese (whatever flavor you choose) ( I used shredded sharp cheese)
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 avocado, diced (optional)
1/2 cup of light sour cream

~With the browned ground beef still in the skillet, add the can of black beans, 3 TB of water, and taco seasoning.  Combine and heat thoroughly.
~Gently crush the chips inside each individual bag.  Once the chips are crushed, cut open the top of the bag.
~For each serving scoop taco meat/bean mixture into the bag.  Top with your favorite taco toppings, which may include cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, avocados and sour cream.
~Using a spoon, stir the chips, taco meat and toppings together.  Serve with a plastic spoon for a meal-to-go.

You can line these on a tray and serve at a picnic or dinner.
They taste so good!



Along the same food line, this is a nugget of personal info about me; 
I could easily pass up the temptation of eating sweets like this cupcake, candy, or milkshakes...no problem for me.  But...




 ...if bags of these kettle cooked chips were placed in front of me, I fall.  I am not advertising for any company, it just so happens that this local company in my part of the world, has perfected their kettle cooked variety to the point, that temptation for me is great:)  The lowfat kettle cooked chips are exceptional!  In fact, they are my favorite and I would not know they were lowfat, if I didn't see the bag.  I only discovered the sweet potato chips recently, and approached them skeptically, since I have been disappointed by the taste of sweet potato chips that I had tried in the past.  But, these are so good!  I think they would taste good, warmed and served with ranch dressing.  I can tell you, that I will not be stashing bags of these in my home, for very good reason.




One more piece of personal info I want to share, and that is, I just discovered this line of uniquely beautiful greetings cards with touches of glitter, by American Greetings.  They are created by Taylor Swift, a country music singer.  Not only can she sing, she is so creatively artistic.  "Walmart" is where I found her line.  The "thank you" card above seems perfect for me to share with you today.

With earthquakes and hurricanes making big news around here, I know this is an insignificant post, but I hope you liked the diversion.

8 comments:

lindsey said...

Great idea for snack on the run....my kids would love this.

I also like the greeting card...I love bit of glitter!

My daughter and family are heading in the direction of San Francisco so I hope the earthquakes etc. subside without reappearing

I hope your summer is going well...ours is pretty wet over here :(

Landis said...

Yes! I love your recipe post! Sounds delicious... I'm going to try this tonight! :)

Happy@Home said...

Now that is a clever and cute idea. Wish I would have known about it when my guys were still home. They love tacos.
I admire your willpower with the snack foods. Unfortunately I have a sweet tooth. I am finding it easier to keep it out of the house now that the nest is empty.
My visits to your blog are always a pleasant diversion.

Debbie said...

Now I know what a 'walking taco' is. We saw those advertised at some of the fall fairs last year, but the lines were too long to consider eating any. Our favorite used to be bags of fritos split open and topped with hot chili, cheese and onions. Chili pie!
With a walking taco on the side!
Deb

Jeane` said...

That snack sounds so, so good! I don't remember that in HS, but maybe that's when A & K were in it! I too like those Taylor cards...very whimsical and pretty!

a woman who is said...

Gorgeous flowers...bad bad chips...those sweet potato ones...oh no!

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy, What a cute idea! I cannot wait to try it. Thank you for your visit to me. I have been following your blog all these months. It's just beautiful. I can't believe how big your grandchildren are getting. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas you post. Charli says woof, woof!

Judy said...

I just returned from a camping trip with our grandchildren...and 'walking tacos' were on our menu, of course! My brother from the midwest introduced them to us some years back...and we have enjoyed them on many occasions. Someone had a great idea when they thought of serving 'tacos' that way!

Love the card! I wonder if our Walmart carries that line. My granddaughters would be thrilled!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails