Thursday, June 10, 2010

Porch Visits


Summer is almost here. Visits on the porch, flowers from the gardens, sounds of lawn mowers in the distance...it is all so far removed from the winter posts that seem like only yesterday that I posted. I thought I would share some pictures of recent porch visits in my life. Moments in time that I wish would have stood still. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy sitting on a porch visiting with relatives(and friends) that I do not get to see near as much as I wish I could.


This is my sister's porch. I have not sat and visited on this lovely porch since last year at this time. She is a warm cordial hostess and a good cook. She had a brunch to celebrate a special birthday of our dear cousin. We sat together, laughing, sharing, and remembering childhood memories. Time went by so quickly. My mother and aunt are wonderful ladies who have taught us all so much throughout our lives. What joy to just sit and share together on this beautiful porch. Notice the centerpiece of her table. She said it is an old sugar mold. She added garden flowers and votives. It was a beautiful way to dress up a table.


The sitting area where my sister spends time on rare moments, visiting with friends and family throughout the Spring, Summer and Fall.


This is my porch. This is my sitting area of choice during the warmer weather. Sometimes, in the very early morning, I just sit in the quiet of the morning and drink my first cup of morning coffee.



And, every once in a while, a little girl joins me on my porch. On this rare occasion, she actually sits for a few moments, while I talk to her. Hopefully, you will find a comfy place to sit and enjoy nature's beauty this summer, and have the privilege of visiting with someone you love.


17 comments:

Kathleen said...

Porch sitting makes me think of simpler times, and Norman Rockwell immediately comes to mind.

With the advent of the garage door opener, people come-and-go without ever being seen. How wonderful that people still visit on their porches, and I love the charm associated with your own.

Enjoy the scents & scenes of summer!

Kathleen

Miss Debbie said...

I have always wanted a porch, but I sit on my patio instead. Maybe in heaven I will have a porch!! ha! ha!

Melinda said...

Porch sitting is one of my fav things to do. Yesterday I did some "resturant" sitting--a group of us from school got together
to celebrate the engagement of one
of our coworkers.
Celebrations whether with family or friends is always fun!
Deck sitting is fun too!

Melinda

Shelley said...

You and your sister have great porches! Plenty of comfortable seating w/ those lovely cushions too! I would love to go back in the day when a lot of people had wrap-a-around porches and would sit out in the early evening and wave to neighbors and visit w/ friends.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I can feel the peace and comfort and joy oozing from those photos.... what wonderful events to remember. And I agree, you wish those moments could stand still for you.

a woman who is said...

Porch visits make me smile. My favorite summer time activity too! You sister put on a spectacular lunch. I am sure all who attended enjoyed it very much. I had to click on the table arrangement. Flower arranging talent seems to run in your family!

Judy said...

Porch sitting always sounds good to me! Your porch...your sister's porch...they both look most warm and welcoming! May you have many occasions to enjoy the porch over these next few months.

Helen said...

That is a beautiful memory :)The flowers on the table are beautiful.
You have a lovely place to drink your morning coffe.

corners of my life said...

One of my favorite things about summer is our daily "porch sit". If only I had a porch as beautiful as your sister's and yours. Thanks for sharing those lovely photos . . .

Debbie said...

Our porch sitting has been canceled due to a barage of agressive buffalo gnats. Even the dog won't sit outside for long!
Deb

Rach said...

The porch looks so wonderful and cozy. What a great way to spend an afternoon.

Crickit said...

What a cozy looking porch... and a very sweet special guest that comes to porch sit with you!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Proches...they truly hold a place in my heart.

Some day, my hearts desire is to have a wrap around porch on my home....with lots of chairs..noks...and sitting areas...to sit...relax, reflect, chat...and sip coffee or cold tea.

Enjoy every minute..of your porch sittin'!

Diana Ferguson said...

Patio and porch "sitting" are the best!! Have a great weekend.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Makes me wish I had a great porch...Loved the pictures

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted a beautiful old porch to sit on. Your sister's porch is beautiful. My grandmother and I used to have tea parties on her front porch. It's one of my favorite memories. To sit in the morning and have a cup of coffee on a beautiful porch would be devine :>)

Kathleen said...

How lovely to be able to sit out on your porch and remenisce with family and friends. I envy you, I would love a house with a porch (and the weather) to allow sitting out on one. TFS.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails