Tuesday, June 8, 2010


Later in the evening...my husband was watching the baseball game on the television, and I was reading. It is a fairly common happening in our home.
The book I was reading is one I shared before on this blog. I am finishing it now and find it chocked full of important words. The book is titled "Simple Little Words" by Michelle Cox and John Perrodin
Speaking of words that I read...


...I want to share this quote from the book;
"Why are we so stingy with our words when they have the power to touch a heart, to change a life, or to brighten someone's day?" ~ Michelle Cox

I also want to share this short piece from the book's pages...
"He was chattering away, and for once, Vicky really listened to him. She looked at his freckled face, the straight hair falling across his forehead, his eyes sparkling as he laughed. And it hit her. He really was a wonderful little brother. The way he expressed himself, his sense of humor, and the outgoing personality all held the promise of the remarkable young man he was becoming.
She stopped him. "Michael, I need to tell you something. You're the best brother in the world, and I'm really blessed to have you as MY little brother. I just wanted you to know that."
She hugged him and then the two continued on their way, the words forgotten as they browsed through the displays at the store.
Two days later, Michael died in an accident.
And Vicky remembered those words she had said to her brother, grateful she had taken the opportunity to tell him that he was special to her-while there was still time."
Positive, heartfelt words can...
...offer hope
...change attitudes
...offer new direction
...lift spirits.
Negative words can do the exact opposite.
I was thankful for the powerful reminder that I received again last evening.

12 comments:

LisaShaw said...

Oh Judy,

This touched my heart. As one who has three brothers (one sadly deceased); I tell the other two OFTEN how much I love them and how important they are to me.

Thank you for sharing this. Love the candle/birds.

Love you!

P.S. Hubby watching the game and me reading is common in our home too (SMILE). I often sit beside him while I read and he attempts not to yell at the game so as not to disturb me. It's so funny.

Stacey said...

And I am thankful to you for this sweet reminder. :) Stopping by here is always so refreshing for my heart.

Judy said...

Wonderful...and timely...reminder to use our words to bless others. A dear husband and father is being laid to rest in our area today...a life snuffed out in an instant in a fluke accident. There was no time for 'good-bye'. His wife is urging her friends to say those things that should be said...today...while there is still time. Let's not wait for tomorrow!

debi said...

Answered prayer... today I'm attending my nieces graduation. In attendance will be my youngest sister and her daughter as well. They have not spoken to me in over a year with no clear reason. I had my friends praying about today as I am so anxious...mainly about, what do I say? Will my words be rejected with a word or a look?
Then I read you blog....I will tell her I am so glad she is my sister and that I love her very much...
So thankful God has put you in my life Judy. He is clearly using you to assist me!
Hugs,
debi

Just a little something from Judy said...

Regarding the comments I already received today and was so blessed by. My husband and I had just spent a week's vacation with my dad and mother twelve years ago in July. We had done so many fun things together including riding his jet skiis in the bay together. It was the best vacation. I hugged him good-bye and said, "we will see you soon." And that was never to be. He died a healthy, strong man at age 63 of a blood clot to the heart. Totally unexpected after his clean bill of health the month before. No heart issues, no to any health issues. Death came suddenly to him. We never know what our last words will be to another. Thanks to each of you for sharing your comments.

Shelley said...

This is a sweet reminder - I have to order this book today! Also, it will make a great gift for someone I know who's a little short w/ words, maybe it'll make them think....

Happy@Home said...

Your post and subsequent comments are something that I can't be reminded of often enough. I am so sorry to read about your father's sudden death. I can only imagine how painful that must have been.
Thank you for this reminder today. It has given me a lot to think about.

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Hi Fried~
What a wonderful post...and something we all need to be reminded of!

Life is so fragile...and often too short!

I'm so THANKFUL for you today my friend.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

So true, Judy, that we should live each day as if it were out last and not keep silent our love or feed our grudges.

So good to be reminded of this!

{{Hugs}}

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

WE need this sort of reminder. Why is it we can gush over our pets and infants, yet we leave admiration unspoken to the adults and family around us. I worked for a woman who made it a practice to say something complimaentary everytime she mentioned someone by name. It was a joy to be around her, and since then I've tried to be more like her.

lindsey said...

Thank you for this post Judy, it is so true, the importance of speaking positive, loving words to those around us. Just a few days before my Dad died in a tragic accident when I was 23, he told me how proud he was of me and how much he loved me and those are the words I remember. He always spoke positive things to me and I was blessed to have an amazing Dad.
Your post is a reminder to us that life can be short and we must take every opportunity that God gives us to be a blessing to others.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like such a wonderful book. I'm going to have to look for it. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails