Monday, June 14, 2010

Blackberries...blackberry cobbler... The first time I can remember tasting this delectable desert was on the mountains, in Colorado. It was warm and served with vanilla cream. You know what, I will never forget it. It was so good!
That was a few years ago. But, now after Saturday evening, blackberries have taken on a new perspective for me.



My grandchildren moved to a home that has a garden in it's backyard. In that garden are bushes of blackberries, and on Saturday evening my husband took them to the garden, to pick the ripened berries. Here this little sweetheart proudly displays her newly picked treasures.




Her first bowl of blackberries with milk. As you can see, she is a bit apprehensive. Her opinion was made part way through the bowl, and now she looks forward to her next picking.




This little one knew immediately that she was a fan of blackberries. She finished her bowl filled with them in no time, juice and all:) Love the little remains of juice on her chin.



The last three berries were so difficult to retrieve with her spoon, and she knew grandma wouldn't mind if she used her fingers.



Their older brother on the other hand was not so easily convinced. He thought it was much more fun picking them, than eating them...even with his dad's help. I looked up blackberries and discovered just how healthy they are. Now I am hoping their bushes produce an abundance this year.




Last evening at Cracker Barrel, four of us divided "blackberry cobbler" for desert, after my MIL's recommendation. Can I tell you just how delicious it was! Oh, if only the calorie content of blackberry cobbler was the same as a bowl of fresh blackberries. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

17 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

I love blackberries! Well, any berry really!!! I have had it at Cracker Barrell....so good! Your littles are adorable!

Rach said...

Mmm, looks so good. I just bought some blackberries yesterday. I like to eat them with a little dollop of light whip cream and a pinch of cinnamon.

Jeane` said...

Abundant they are! I'll make sure you are the recipient of all that you want! Thank you SO much for taking care of those blackberry eating children of ours on Saturday evening!!!

debi said...

I can almost taste it by looking at that last photo! Love the stained little faces of the grand kids :-)

Debbie said...

I wish I had room for blackberry bushes in my yard. I love em! That is my favorite cobbler filling:)
Debbie

Miss Debbie said...

I use to pick blackberries in a field behind our house. I remember how scratched up I would get!! Sweet pictures of the precious little girl!

Melinda said...

Summer fun for everyone!

Melinda

lindsey said...

I love blackberries and had lots near where we used to live but not so now! Looks like all the children had fun picking and so cute to see their little faces as they try them out!

Lovella ♥ said...

It amazes me how when your winter is over, your summer comes quickly. We have not much winter to speak of but spring is very very long and our blackberries are at least a month away.
I agree with the question of why cobblers have more calories than just blackberries and milk.

Judy said...

I prefer the blackberries in a cobbler...to fresh off the vine. But you are right...the cobbler comes with a price! I'm surprised that your blackberries are ready for the pickin'. The ones in my garden are still green...and rock-hard.

Sweet pic's of your grands eating blackberries!

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

You need to put a warning on this blog. Now I am at work, wanting berry cobbler with vanilla ice cream and NO way to satisfy the craving.

thanks a bunch there girl! Aggghhhhh....

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

These photos tell a delightful story! Your grandchildren look so sweet discovering the taste of berries.

I love all kinds of berries and have blueberries, strawberries and raspberries growing in large pots in my backyard. I don't harvest a lot but I cherish the ones I do get to enjoy!

Tracy said...

Oh they look just delicious! How fun to watch them try them for the first time. Love those little blackberry chins. = ) Oh, and that Cracker Barrell desert? Have mercy!

Connie said...

Precious and YUM!!

Connie

Anonymous said...

Your grandchildren are so adorable! I am a any kind of berry girl. I love them all :>)

Happy@Home said...

I know what I'm getting next time I go to Cracker Barrel!! I love blackberries and have been eating them on my cereal and have decided they are quite tasty on mango sorbet too. Now as far as having bushes full of them in my yard ... I'm so envious :-).

LisaShaw said...

Oh how delicious! Looks like everyone was enjoying themselves!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails