Friday, May 28, 2010

Sitting on my porch last evening, while the storm was flashing it's lightening strikes across the sky, I was thinking(no I was dreaming) about the coming holiday weekend. I wish I was going to be sitting on the beach on my comfy beach chair reading one of the books on my growing list of "must reads". I would still be sitting as the evening sun would be setting over the ocean. I would have lots of iced lemonade in my insulated thermos, and some homemade chicken salad to go with it. Oh, this would certainly be a pleasurable way to spend Memorial Day weekend.



...or, I could sit on some Adirondack chairs on the side of this rolling mountain stream. This location would also be perfect for catching up on my reading backlog. I would have lots of hot coffee in my thermos, and some homemade blueberry muffins to go with it. I just know I would not tire of sitting at this location in the warm sunshine of the mountains.



...or, I would be so happy to spend the day horseback riding through the magnificent Rocky Mountains with my friends. I would anticipate the prepared dinner cooked on the grills at the top of the mountain, after a few hours of riding. I would take in every bit of scenery on the ride, and bask in the Spring sunshine. This too, would be a perfect way to celebrate the upcoming holiday weekend.


...or I could stay at my favorite place on this earth, and celebrate the Memorial Day weekend here, remembering the hundreds of thousands of men and women throughout history, who have given their lives to provide the freedoms I hold dear. The men and women who today, continue to give their lives for that freedom. The ones that do not get to sit on the beach, or by a mountain stream, or on horseback in the Rockies, but on in the midst of war ravaged countries on duty for us. What a privilege it is for me to sit on my porch this weekend, in a land that is still experiencing freedom, especially after watching the news accounts on Somalia yesterday.
Wherever you choose to spend your days this holiday, may you too remember those who continue to provide our cherished freedom.
Happy Memorial Day to you and your family!




13 comments:

Jeane` said...

At least we didn't show up to the same place wearing the exact same thing (or close to it!). ;)

Maybe that's next....

Lovely post!

Rach said...

Happy Memorial Day Weekend! Hope it's fun and relaxing.

Marilou said...

Wow...now I feel like I should come home from the beach...of course, the fact that it is 67 and cloudy has NOTHING to do with it, I just feel like you should have some company on your porch with you. Is someone keeping they're eye on you while I'm gone??? :) love you, Judy! Happy Friday!!

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Beautiful posting!

Judy said...

Happy long weekend to you! May it be a memorable one...sitting on your porch or the beach...counting your blessings.

Miss Debbie said...

Very nice! And you are right we do need to remember. After all, that is what memorial means:something designed to preserve the memory of. Thanks for the reminder that it is more than cook outs and trips and fun. Hope you enjoy your weekend at home. We'll be spending it at home, too.

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Have a GREAT weekend. We too..are staying home...and I'm excited about that!

Now, off for 11 says..to prep for graduation!! :-)

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

That was such a lovely post. I plan to send it to a few other people, and read it aloud on the Memorial Day proper. You are so right, it is a time to remember those who will not spend the time in holiday activities to that we can.

Thank you for writing this so beautifully.

Happy@Home said...

This is a beautiful post, Judy. It has made me stop and think today. It will be on my mind all weekend as I will also be home.
I wish you a most relaxing weekend at home.

Melinda said...

Happy Holiday weekend to you and yours!


Melinda

Melanie said...

Lovely!

Christine said...

Senitmental without being to emotional. A perfect tribute to those who have gone before us, while protecting our country.

Anonymous said...

Great post! We are so blessed to live in our country with all of it's freedoms. I like to spend the day home with my flag flying high in memory of our troops.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails