Monday, May 24, 2010


Earlier today, I did a post on the graduation ceremonies that we were privileged to attend this
weekend, at the United States Military Academy in West Point, NY. I just received these three
photos and wanted to include them in today's post.
Pictured above is my nephew and his girlfriend at the Graduation Ball on Friday evening.



My nephew with his sisters after the Saturday morning graduation.



My nephew with his parents(my dear sister and brother-in-law), on Friday evening.





Saturday, May 22, 2010

Graduation and Commissioning Ceremony

United State Military Academy

We had the privilege of attending this memorable event. Our nephew graduated in this ceremony.

It was a weekend that will always remain in our memory as a very special time.

Picture above...the graduating class of 2010 entering the stadium for the last time as cadets. The

seats in the stadium behind the cadets and the platform were empty. Seating was prohibited in

that area. The rest of the stadium seats were filled with people. The pomp and circumstance of the

morning was most impressive.

The graduation speaker was the President of the United States.



What a privilege it was to have our picture taken with our nephew after his graduation. It will be

the last time he will be dressed in his cadet uniform. It struck me as we stood here in the bright

sunshine with this young man, that it was just a short time ago, that we babysat for him as a

toddler. How did it all happen so quickly? We felt so honored to be a part of this important

moment of his life.
Throughout the beautiful and historic grounds of this great institution, the graduating parties

began. The day's weather was perfect. The landscaping of West Point grounds created the perfect

backdrop for outdoor dining.


After our lunch was served, the pinning ceremony was next on the agenda. Here these young men

were commissioned and pinned. These pictures were the first that were taken of them in their

uniforms as Second Lieutenants. They looked so handsome. Our nephew is the one with the yellow

band on his hat.





Here he is showing us his diploma. I thought as I saw it, how differently it would appear to him,

than it would to me. He knew the blood, sweat and tears that went into it, during the four years

at West Point. Isn't that how life is? What others see is often not the "real picture".

Our heartfelt congratulations go out to this young man. He faces a turbulent and unknown future

in this world. We promised him our love and our continued prayers as he enters the next leg of his

journey. We definitely felt it was a great honor to be part of these moments in his life. Another
special privilege on this weekend, was to see so many Veterans from past wars that have served
our country. Truly, our hearts overflowed with gratitude toward all who have given, and
continue to give to provide our freedom.

20 comments:

LisaShaw said...

Hi Judy,

Your nephew is so handsome and I'm sure all of you are proud of him. My prayers and appreciation are with him.

Thank you for sharing such an incredibly precious time with us.

I've missed my visits with you while off line. Love you.

Stacey said...

What an amazing accomplishment! I know he loved having you there.

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

That was beautiful Judy, and how wonderful that you could be there. My prayers go with him as he moves forward, for God's guidance and protection. I feel proud of him just seeing these pictures!

Hugs!

Judy said...

Wow. How special to be part of a grad ceremony at West Point...and to know one of the graduates so personally. Wishing your nephew all the best in the journey that lies ahead for him!

lindsey said...

Fantastic post Judy...what an amazing day you all must have had. The unforms are so smart abd great that you were able to share the day with your nephew, you must all be very proud of him.

Love Being A Nonny said...

I am so impressed with anyone who graduates from West Point! The discipline is amazing. What an honor that your nephew was a part of that ceremony. I know you are proud...and you SHOULD be!

Happy@Home said...

What an honor it must have been to be included in this special day in your nephew's life. I wish him the very best.

Connie said...

What an honor and committment it is for him to serve our country. So glad you could be a part of it and share it with us. You must be so proud.

Connie

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

I feel blessed to be able to see this fine young man's graduation day and to be able to pray for him as he defends our country.

May God bless him in these troubled times.
(PS: I read that the President's speech was received rather quietly.)

Debbie said...

Don't men in uniform look handsome?
What an honor and an accomplishment. I know you all are proud of him:)
Debbie

LisaShaw said...

Thanks for adding the additional photos Judy. They are wonderful. Your sister is beautiful. Love the photo of your nephew and his girlfriend. Just an absolutely beautiful occasion I'm sure!!

Hugs.

Miss Debbie said...

Wow! What a special event. I know it must have been very meaningful to him to have you there. I can just imagine how proud his parents are.

Susan said...

CONGRATULATIONS to the accomplished graduate and to you, his proud family, as well! What a wonderful tribute to your nephew's hard work and patriotism! It brings extra special meaning to our Memorial Day celebration coming up, doesn't it?
Blessings!

Tracy said...

What a wonderful and special ceremony and celebration! No doubt you will never forget that. I'm most grateful to young men like himself and send my prayers for God's protection. Beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing!

cherry said...

Wow....what an honor! Very handsome young man. cherry

Marty said...

I love these pictures and the lives behind them. Our background didn't provide a heritage of military service and the older I get the more I so appreciate the time, effort and sacrifice these men and women give. You have much to be proud of.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Congratulations to your nephew. Judy! I know how proud you all must be! One opf my good friend's son graduated West Point a few years ago and is now in Special Forces. Our country is blessed to have such fine men serving so bravely!

Anonymous said...

Your entire family must be so proud of this young man. Thank you for sharing such an important event with us. I will keep your nephew in my prayers. I couldn't imagine actually going to such an event as this. It must have been an incrediblly awesome experience.

Anonymous said...

Your entire family must be so proud of this young man. Thank you for sharing such an important event with us. I will keep your nephew in my prayers. I couldn't imagine actually going to such an event as this. It must have been an incrediblly awesome experience.

Barbara said...

Tyler and us were so blessed that you took the time to come(and bring Mom) and share in his special day. It made it even more special for all of us! You are a cherished part of his life and upbringing and it was only fitting that you were a part of his day.
THANK YOU!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails