Tuesday, June 25, 2013



This evening I heard my grandson announce that he is going to run around our house 10 times, and he is going to do in it 2 minutes and 45 seconds.  I turned and looked at him and ask him to repeat what he just said.  He said, "maw maw, will you be watching me?"  "Of course", I answered.  He left to begin his attempted endeavor.  Now I must mention, it was sunny, hot, and quite humid, but that did not matter in the least to the little six year old.

I was on the back porch.  I waved at lap 1, lap 2, lap 3, and every time I would see his little face looking up to see if I was still watching, and then flash his big, heartwarming smile.  I would cheer loudly.  I would offer praise and surprise at each additional lap.  His face was flushed, his hair was wet, and his breathing became heavier, and yet he continued on in his laps. 

I thought of my daily life.  My everyday living.  I thought about how much easier it is to have family and friends cheering me on from the sidelines.  They have been there all my life, and they continue to be.  Those that cheer are the encouragers, the supporters, and the inspiration that can make all the difference.  I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude to those who cheered, when maybe down in their hearts, they might have doubted.  I was reminded clearly, that I wanted to become more of a cheerleader and less of a skeptic, especially to the special little ones that I have been so blessed with as a grandparent.

He is still gloating in his accomplishment of the evening, and I am still smiling as I remember the exhaustion and exhilaration that went with his feat.






Fortunately, I captured this picture of my three little guys this evening.  Yes, I will be there, I will cheer, I will encourage, and I will support, even if the goal may seem totally impossible for them to carry out.  I will cheer.





I was reminded, too,  of how many cheering, encouraging, and supportive family and friends my dear friend (pictured above on the left) had in the past year as she battled cancer.  We prayed for her.  We cheered for her, and we loved her through it all.  We are so thankful she has come through it all. 

Once again, a reminder of how vitally important it is to cheer each other on.  Criticizing and skepticism can be so damaging and destructive, and can pull one down in an instant.





"People will forget what you said,

 People will forget what you did,

 But, people will never forget

 How you made them feel."

~Maya Angelo

Thank you for the cheering you all do with your kind comments and loyal support.  I appreciate it more than you could know.

5 comments:

Judy said...

We all need cheerleaders...it makes the running so much easier. Your grandsons are the sweetest!

I love that quote...'people will never forget how you made them feel'.

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

It's true Judy, there is so much encouragement in the visits and words of our blogging world, it is fellowship that blesses.

I love your little one running and not letting up... persistence and perserverance... a good lesson for us. I too am grateful for the crowd of encouragers in my own life that are on the sidelines and we cheer each other on.

The 3 little guys are so adorable!

lindsey said...

Just thank you for this lovely post, so thought provoking. I love the thought of your little guy running around the house and so pleased with his achievement. Your photo of the three of them is so sweet. I am glad to hear your friend is recovering well from her battle and am sure she was blessed by all the support she received from friends and family. Bless you Judy.

Anneliese said...

Oh, what a beautiful post! I love how the story teaches a lesson and I love the quote about people remembering how one makes them feel.. oh boy!
PS I hope you saw that I had linked to your glittery plastic ware. You definitely inspired me.

Jeane` said...

I love that picture of the boys...so much1!! You have always been a TREMENDOUS cheerleader for everyone who knows you, especially your children (except when they want to throw extravagant homecoming parties when they were 18) :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails