Thursday, June 6, 2013


It was a few years ago.  I clearly remember the question, and the answer.  The question was asked by our youngest daughter, to her grandmother, at a time when we were driving together, to a family dinner.

She asked her grandmother, "what was one of the most special birthday gifts you ever received?"  Her grandmother thought for a while, and then answered with this statement."  One of the best birthday gifts I ever received, was from one of my granddaughters, on my 80th birthday."

She went on to describe the gift.  She said, " it was a pretty decorated box.  In it were 80 slips of paper, and each paper contained one special memory that her granddaughter had over the years, of her grandma."    Grandma was to read one a day.  She said, "she found herself eagerly looking forward to each day, to open and read another memory."

I was sitting in the front seat, listening to this conversation, and I thought to myself, "what a thoughtful, time-consuming, meaningful gift that was, for her granddaughter to give her."

One decorated box.  Eighty memories written down on eighty slips of paper = one delighted and blessed grandma.

I have often thought back over that conversation.  It encourages my heart to know that grandchildren do remember, however foggy those memories may be.  It also reminds me, that sometimes the gifts that stand the test of time, and stay in our minds, are the ones that are homemade, and that come from the heart.





Moments spent with those we love, just may stay in the heart for a lifetime.
 
 
 
 
 
Two of our grandchildren completed their first year of kindergarten yesterday.
 
Time is going so quickly, and I do want to not loose sight of that important fact.
 
 
By the way, you may want to remember this simple idea, if you have someone extra special in your life, who just may be having a milestone birthday.





A little something just for you today!


8 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

What a precious idea! Thank you for sharing!

Crickit said...

What a great idea for a gift! When it comes to memories or memory making... I am all over it! You are certainly Blessed with your sweet grandkids! :)

Stacey said...

A post full of sweetness, as always. :)

http://bitsandpieces-sonja.blogspot.com/ said...

Thanks to you Judy, I've just started a file of memories, for each of our 8 grandkids. There are so many dear ones. I will keep this, and add to it. THANK YOU for such a great idea! I know that yours will have their own memories, already do, tucked away in their hearts!

xo

p.s.phyllis sews said...

We collected memories for my father on his 80th birthday. I thought it would be hard to do but it really wasn't!

lindsey said...

Judy this is a really special post. As you know ,my mother just passed away, yesterday we had her funeral and have spent a wonderful few days with family sharing happy memories of a very special lady. You are right, memories are so important and to share those with others passes on that blessing. Thank you for sharing this post.

Anneliese said...

The kindergarten grads look so alike? Are they cousins?
Your twins are boys, are they not?
Love the 80th BD idea!

Just a little something from Judy said...

Anneliese, the kindergarten grads are brother and sister. They are 11 months apart in age and started school together. The twins in our family are boys. In between the kindergarten duo and the twins, is a sister. Ages 6,5,4, and twins age 3. Quite a busy life!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails