Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I can remember so clearly. I was in the second grade and I sat beside a girl named Cathy. We were learning penmanship and she had the most beautiful ability to neatly write her letters. With her sharpened #2 pencil, she just wrote with ease. I stared at her letters, I tried so hard to copy how she made them. I can still picture it all. Day after day I would work to copy her penmanship. Today, I thank her for the benefit I received from imitation. "Imitation"...something I am being made aware of more now than ever. I am surrounded at times by little ones. They are watching. I see them imitating. I hear them using my expressions. It is a funny, and yet sobering realization at times.
Above little one carries on a conversation with her brother who is at home. I smiled as I listened. Washing dishes and talking on the phone...just like me.
They copy each other too. Younger sister copies older sister. If she slides a headband on, little one wants one on too. Older sister copies slightly older neighbor girl. I hear them using the same words.



Grandson imitates his papaw...



...younger brother copies his older brother, and on and on it goes...
Makes me stop and think about my attitude and reactions when I am with them. I read a quote once that said, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." by Charles Coleb Colton.
This can be a good thing, or maybe not. Food for thought for this mamaw today.

15 comments:

Wanda said...

That is so precious! I love it! I have to always remember that someone may be watching and may imiatate what I do. I need to imitate my Heavenly Father, too! Thanks for your post...thanks for all of your posts! I really enjoy every single one! THANKS!

Judy said...

It makes us think twice...when we realize what an impact our actions have on those wee ones. Aren't they the sweetest of imitators? You got great pic's to suit your theme!

p.s.phyllis sews said...

Thank you for the powerful reminder!

Stacey said...

That is always food for thought. We have to set an example for our kids, grandkids, students, all of them!

Barb said...

Judy, they are just so precious. What a joy they must be.

We are all watching....aren't we?

Hope your day is blessed and thank you for your lovely comments to me. What a gracious lady you are!

Barb ♥

lindsey said...

This is so true...thankfully they copy the good habits as well as the bad ones!! I love the way our twins raise their hands during worship time at church...so sweet. These photo's are lovely Judy you have captured your grandchildren so well, I love the one of chatting on the phone while washing the dishes!

Susan said...

Such sweet pics of your dear ones! Certainly sobering to think of all that our grandchildren are exposed to and will imitate. Makes me realize how much more time I need to spend in prayer!
Blessings!
PS Don't forget to email your address and I'll get your giveaway gift sent to you ASAP! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh so true Judy. This was a very inspiring post today. I am so upset, I completely forgot one of my daughter's birthday. The first time since I have had children, I forgot a birthday. No fun getting old. blessings
QMM

corners of my life said...

As a teacher for 30+ years I shuddered when parents would tell me their child loves to play school at home. I always wondered if they heard my voice coming from their child??

I am continually amazed at the topics you come up with for your blog. You will never run out of ideas!

Melinda said...

Darling pictures!!!
It is food for thought.

Have fun.

Melinda

Stephanie said...

What a great reminder!
Im a teacher and I see it daily, how kids copy one another. Its usually out of flattery !!
So sweet :)
Stephanie

debi said...

Yep, they do live what that learn many times. Walking the talk is more important that most are aware of. I love that they call you mamaw. My in-laws were mamaw and Papaw to my sons.

Hope you are well Judy!

Sherry said...

I just spent a couple of weeks with all of our grandchildren around us. What you said is so true, they are always watching and modeling the behavior of their cousins, brothers,sisters and us. Thanks for reminding us in such a powerful way.

Anonymous said...

Your little grandchildren are all so adorable. I enjoyed reading your post. It is so true.

Happy@Home said...

You've captured some adorable photos of your sweet little imitators. I especially like the one of your granddaughter talking on the phone and washing the dishes. Too cute :).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails