Monday, July 12, 2010

A few years ago, I bought a stack of five old trays at a flea market. Five of them for 2.00. Why would I buy a stack of old, rusted metal trays. I asked myself that question too, although I knew I would find some use for them. This past weekend I decided to try a project using some of them. I three of them, spray painted two of them antique gold and one of them white. I did not have to use much spray paint. The paint covered them beautifully. The trays are lightweight metal.


A year of so ago, I had purchased two packs of magnets at Michaels. Two different sizes. For this project, I used the smaller ones. Little round button magnets with 30 magnets in a pack.


I found these uniquely created, dimensional stickers at Michaels, by Martha Stewart. I took my hot glue gun and glued a magnet onto the back of five of the flowers. I hot glued white sheer ribbon bows to the two top sides of the sprayed metal tray. Because the trays are lightweight, the ribbons hold it perfectly.


The magnets work beautifully and this will serve as a message board for my friend on her birthday. Total cost...6.00.
I hope she can find some place to hang it in her home.


These magnets will not hold any heavy objects, but easily hold any memos, appt. cards, or papers of any kind. I took a card and stamped my birthday message to her, added a butterfly and I was finished. I might just hang it on her front door the actual day of her birthday.




Project #2...I took the same magnets...



...hot glued them onto these dimensional stickers that I found in the dollar bin at Michaels. I hot glued magnets onto the back of these stickers(after adding a touch of glitter to each one).



I put the magnets onto the white spray painted tray. I added a brown and white polka dotted ribbon that I had on a roll of ribbon from Michaels.




I created another stamped birthday card and will give this to another friend. Simple, and quite inexpensive gifts for some of my friends. A way to let them know I am thinking about them for almost the same price as mailing them a card.


Another project...I was given these zucchinis from my SIL's garden. She had an abundance of them and I was thrilled to get some. I decided to try a new zucchini bread recipe. Each year I make my old, tried and try recipes, and always try a new one too. The one I tried this time was from Recipezaar. It was by MizzNezz, "My Best Zucchini Bread" #21171



I love using freshly shredded zucchini. It looks so pretty in the mixing bowl. I will definitely make this recipe again. It has applesauce and orange juice in it which gives it a new and different flavor. I think it is delicious! Very moist.


With the second antique gold sprayed tray, I added a paper lace doily and some of my freshly baked zucchini muffins to create another simple gift.
I know in light of all that you have going as you start out your week, you certainly were not thinking about ways to use your old rusted trays. But...just incase you ever need a DIY project, this may work for you. You might even want to create one for a child, with the many fun stickers geared for children.

10 comments:

Judy said...

You are always full of wonderful ideas! Though I may not use them right at the moment...I come back to your blog often...to find inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

Happy@Home said...

You sure did transform those old trays into objects of beauty. There seems to be no end to your creativity. I often see old trays at the thrift shop. I will be looking at them through new eyes now thanks to you :-).
The zucchinni bread sounds delicious too.

Lovella ♥ said...

Oh so pretty. I just brought my old tray out of the closet that was my grandmothers. . .I'm doing the same thing with it but not painting it. ..I'm keeping the memories .. .how fun.
Your magnets are a wonderful idea.

Susan said...

What simply beautiful gift ideas! You've been very busy! Thank you for the inspiration. No wonder you haven't been by to see me. Stop by. I think you may be glad you did!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I love all of these ideas. The bread is so pretty the way you have it wrapped. Wonderful ideas. Thank you.

Shelley said...

I bet your friend will be delighted with that beautiful message board that you made! It's so thoughtful and creative. Such pretty detail too. I just love your ideas Judy!!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

So lovely and creative! The magnetic boards and the muffins too!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Every tray makes a wonderful gift, Judy! I will have to keep my eye open for metal trays like these to make some gifts.

I think your friends will very pleased. The zucchini muffins look delicious...and they are a healthy treat.

Melinda said...

Oh, how very cute! Love the white with black polka dot ribbon.
The one for a child would be fun too!

Have a great day!

Melinda

Kathleen said...

Yet another artform!

I could walk around for hours at the local flea market, or Michaels, and come away with an empty bag. Worse, I might come home with some stuff that then sits in my closet until I have a garage sale.

Love your eye for the lovely ...

Kathleen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails