Friday, December 12, 2008

A Favorite Chicken Salad Recipe


I was introduced to this version of chicken salad one day at a friend's home, when she served it for lunch. Actually, she served this chicken salad on a croissant, wrapped individually in parchment paper and tied with string, along with potato chips and carrots. It looked like a plate right out of a "Martha Stewart" magazine. After the first bite, I knew I wanted the recipe for this sandwich. She said it was her favorite, and I now call it my favorite, too. I was surprised to learn that she used canned chicken. I grew up in a kitchen where we never used canned meat. I have learned that they have improved their processing for canned meat, and I cannot believe how convenient it is.



The recipe; l can of 12.5 oz. Premium Chunk Chicken Breast(drained and I break apart the chunks) , 1/2 cup of mayonnaise(not light), 1 Tablespoon of honey, 1 cup of celery(thinly sliced), 1/4 cup of craisins or halved grapes, 1/3 cup of honey roasted sliced almonds, and a dash of salt. I usually double or triple this recipe. If you prefer it creamier, you can add more mayo.

This tastes better the second day of refrigeration. One of my favorite ways of serving this salad is on "Pepperidge Farms" cinnamon, raisin bread, or on multi-grain toasted english muffins. However you serve this, you will most likely get asked for the recipe. I have also given containers of it for a birthday gift, or a hostess gift. I like "out of the box" type gifts.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

aunt judy that looks so delicious. I think I may just have to try and make this. you are SO creative. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas. I'm a faithful follower.
:-) Love you

Connie said...

I will definitely try this because I love a good chicken salad on a croissant! I have many of the snowmen that your grandson loves so much now and my granddaughter loves to push the buttons too and hear them sing. My son(20 yr old) thinks it will drive me crazy to turn them all on at once! Fun times! Merry Christmas! Connie

KaitCav said...

Another great recipe for you to try with canned chicken is Buffalo Chicken Dip. We make this recipe for parties, potlucks, and family gatherings. There's never any left over and we always get asked for the recipe. Here it is:

1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
2 cans (9.75 oz each) Swanson® Premium Chunk Chicken Breast, drained
½ cup Frank’s ® RedHot ® Sauce
½ cup blue cheese salad dressing
½ cup crumbled blue cheese
Assorted fresh vegetables and/or crackers

Directions:
1. Stir cream cheese in 9” deep pie dish until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients.
2. Bake at 350°F. for 20 min. until hot and bubbling. Stir. Serve with vegetables and crackers.

Tips:
Substitute ranch dressing for blue cheese dressing and shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese for blue cheese crumbles.
Make this in the microwave by heating it on high for 5 minutes instead of baking
Keep it warm in a crockpot or slow cooker

Check out my blog at entertainingescapades.blogspot.com.I think we have a lot in common!
Also, when you make this dip, I use Swanson Chicken since I work for them so I know that it's made with only white meat!

LisaShaw said...

I too don't eat canned meat :( but I think I may have to try this. I can also probably just cut up chicken breast also.

I can envision eating this on triscuits also as a snack. Mmmm good. I will try this one. Thanks Judy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails