Tuesday, April 15, 2014



"It is called "Coconut Cashew Crunch".  I was first introduced to it's amazing goodness,
a few weeks ago, at my sister-in-law's dinner table.  It was served to me on top of a scoop
of vanilla ice cream.  I was smitten!  The combination was over-the-top in my book!
You remember of course, if you been visiting this blog for too long:), that I do not
profess to have a sweet tooth.  That being said, I was still smitten.




My sister-in-law found the recipe from a Taste of Home magazine, and she told me that it was one
of her family's favorites.  She told me that it makes a big batch of mix, and keeps well in the
freezer.  So, my friends, if you keep some vanilla ice cream in your freezer, and a large
tightly covered container of this crunch mixture, you will be ready for any unexpected, or
invited guests.  Isn't this so helpful? 

I made my first batch of the Crunch mixture on Saturday, and she was right, it does make
a big portion, and the recipe is not difficult.



I wanted to make a dessert ahead of time for dinner guests, so I took the cooled coconut cashew
crunch, and put a layer on the bottom of a 9 x 13 glass dish.  Then I took a half gallon box of van.
ice cream, removed it from the box, and sliced it in thick layers and laid each slice over the
crunch mixture.  I finished it by adding a top layer of the crunch.  I covered it tightly, and
placed it in the freezer.  When it was time for dessert, I cut individual squares, and placed it
on a saucer drizzled with chocolate syrup. 




I added a chocolate peep for color.  I took this picture, but it sure does not look
like those desserts the fancy restaurants serve.  Oh well, it sure did taste good!  And,
guess what.  There is still some in the freezer, in case you stop in:)



 
Actually, my sister-in-law gave me a some of this for my birthday, and I think it was a
special gift!  Now, that I made my own crunch, I will give some for needed gifts.  You
can give it in many ways.  I will use clear cellophane bags, or clear plastic cups with lids.
Your friends will really like you!  You can serve the crunch on ice cream, yogurt, or
just dip a spoon in and eat it as it is.

Now, if you are still reading this post, I will share the recipe with you, that she was
so kind to share with me;

Coconut Cashew Crunch

9 cups Rice Krispies
2 cups flaked coconut
1 (8 oz.) can salted cashew pieces
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tea. vanilla
1/2 baking soda

In a large bowl, combine cereal, coconut, and cashews.  In a saucepan, combine
brown sugar, butter and corn syrup.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring
constantly.  Cook  and stir 5 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and baking soda.  Pour over the cereal mixture,
and toss to coat.
Transfer to foil covered 15x10 inch pans.
Bake in preheated 250 degree oven for 60 minutes, till golden brown,
stirring every 15 minutes.
Cool in pan, on wire rack.
Store in airtight container, freezes well.

Hope you like this as much as we do!

Thanks so much for stopping by on this cool, rainy, windy Tuesday!


4 comments:

lindsey said...

I'm on my way :)

debi said...

Goodness, now I have to try it!

Hugs!

Debbie said...

Oh my I don't even have to make this to know I would LOVE it! Sounds soo good. And wonderful on ice cream or yogurt. Thanks for the recipe! Hope you are enjoying your week!

Judy said...

That recipe sounds like a keeper...both as an ice-cream topper or as a base! And what a great gift idea. Thanks for sharing once again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails