Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Small Touches of Joy in Everyday Life

She is in her late 70s...in her spotless, unair-conditioned kitchen she bakes bread, many loaves of bread, five days a week to sell at a small roadside stand a short walk from her home. This bread is some of the best! We know, because we buy our bread from her. I often order numerous loaves for my freezer. Because I order a larger order, I go to her home to pick it up. I tell her when I will be arriving. She is sitting by the window waiting for me. On the table beside her, are my loaves of warm, whole wheat bread...bagged and ready for me to take. Freezing it does not hurt the flavor one bit. It is so delicious, especially when toasted or when I use it to make french toast. My husband told her that she can never stop baking. He is one of her biggest fans.


Fresh, ripe, sweet peaches right from the orchard. Another of my favorite fruits...peach shortcake, peach jelly, and sliced peaches on my cereal.



Her first pony tail. Her hair is finally long enough, with some help of gel, to put up on the top of her head. I thought it looked so cute, and she was pleased as pie.




This beautiful old copper tea kettle we received as a wedding gift, many years ago from some dear friends. I like to move it around to different locations in my home. It is now on the shelves in my kitchen eating area. I found this stick arrangement with tiny white lights. I stuck it in my old tea kettle and it adds the perfect touch to my shelves. I was told by the lady in the gift shop where I purchased them, that they last for a very long time. I really like this addition.




This photo I captured of the sky's beauty, on a road close to my home. The colors in the sky, and the wispy clouds created a backdrop that just had to be captured...

Many today are facing great heartaches with the mental and physical health of family and friends. I find myself, at times missing the tiny touches of joy in the everyday, because of my consuming thoughts, hurts and prayers for these friends. When I stopped to think to think of the small smile makers in my day...these are a few that I came up with.

25 comments:

southerninspiration said...

those are indeed smile inspirers!!! Thanks for sharing.
I love the little lighted sticks!

Suzanne

Stacey said...

Good Morning Judy. :) What a fun post you did today. The bread looks wonderful.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

beautiful...... it's the small things that really are the big things, aren't they? Like fresh baked bread, and sweet ripe peaches, and pony tails, gorgeous arrangements and sunsets.....

Thanks for sharing!

Barb said...

Judy, what a lovely and thoughtful post.

The bread look just delicious and so do the peaches.

Love your tea kettle.

Barb :-)

Judy said...

You are so good at reminding us to look for the joy in the small things in life...many of which are free! How nice to have your own personal baker...the bread looks wonderful.

Happy@Home said...

Thank you for sharing your smile makers with us, Judy. I love your bread story and it does look so delicious. I can imagine the sweet little lady who baked them is probably very happy to see you pull up in her driveway.
We picked up a dozen peaches in South Carolina at a little road side stand. I am anxiously waiting for them to ripen so we can eat them. In the meantime, they are so pretty.
The lighted sticks are really neat and look very pretty in your copper kettle.
Have a wonderful day.

christina and buddy powers said...

Hi Judy,
I love how you found "little" things to brighten my/our days, thank you so much for taking your time to encourage me/us.
I am posting a new poem today, its based from a TV preacher's sermon, just like the last 5 poems I wrote.
Have a wonderful day today with your precious family.
Always,
Christina

Tracy said...

Great smile inspirations indeed! Thank you Judy, for sharing these with us. How precious the woman who so lovingly bakes that bread! I can just imagine how amazing those peaches must smell! Love that picture of your grandaughter...that's a big moment! = ) Those lighted sticks look perfect in your copper kettle. That sunset...as always is just gorgeous. So glad you captured it in a photo. Have a wonderful day. Thank you again for encouraging us with pleasant thoughts!

shelia said...

if it twinkles i need it!!! love your light sticks...and now i'm hungry for bread. It might be better for my waist if i'd eat the light sticks!

shelia :)

LisaShaw said...

I so enjoyed this post and the photos. Thank you for sharing with us. I'm always so blessed with my visit.

Love her ponytail :) She's so precious!

Terri said...

YUM! The bread looks wonderful! I was just thinking today that there's no one nearby who bakes for their roadside stands anymore...might have to find your lady! It was nice seeing you yesterday, as always, thank you for your sweet encouragement!
Terri

Terri said...

YUM! The bread looks wonderful! I was just thinking today that there's no one nearby who bakes for their roadside stands anymore...might have to find your lady! It was nice seeing you yesterday, as always, thank you for your sweet encouragement!
Terri

Terri said...

what on earth? if I TRIED to post that twice, it would never worked! Not sure how it posted twice...sorry!

Jeane` said...

I am a bit envious that she sat still enough for you to create such a 'flawless' ponytail! Only for 'mawmaw'....:)

Nice post, mom!

Miss Gracie's House said...

Simple joy, indeeed!
Rene'
Your daughter is expecting twins with 3 little ones?! What a wonderful quiver-ful of family!

Kathleen said...

Indeed, the "little somethings" bear great power, often medicinal power for the heart. You demonstrate them well. In fact, now I'm smelling homemade bread and wondering how to get some.

I'm also thinking of the heart that bears burdens for others. No wonder you find Him (and His joy) in the simple things of life.

Be blessed, and may those hurting ones in your life find their rest in Him too.

Hugs,
Kathleen

amy said...

It was nice to meet you in person the other day Judy!
We are surrounded by such beauty here in Lancaster County, especially at this time of year.

peace,
amy

Landis said...

Thank you so much for the great blog site and for being my wonderful cheerleader! :) Both gestures were so encouraging to me! Great post...A girls first hair due, now that's an event to be a part of. Love those curls on your granddaughter!

Unknown said...

i do believe i can smell that bread! and it smells as good as it looks!

Lovella ♥ said...

Those certainly are smile makers. I think it is wonderful that you bless this elderly lady with your joy of her bread.

OH ..too bad you aren't discussing undies today. .my word verification is undernor. . .fun... another smile maker.

Shelley said...

What a lovely post! The smell of fresh baked bread is close to heaven in my book! I wish I had your same bread connection lady!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

I'm a bread girl...I have so many fond memories from my childhood as my grandma made amazing homemade bread. Oh how I miss it....and whenever I'm somewhere and i smell homemade bread...it always takes me back...to a time once remembered.

I SO love reading your posts....you bless me so much!!

a woman who is said...

What a great post and a great reminder to count our blessings especially the small everyday ones.

I love your teakettle too. Gotta find me some of those sticks :)

Bethany said...

thank you Judy! Your blog is such a blessing...and a reminder of those simple things in life that I miss about Lancaster Co.
We have so much to be thankful for. I'm grateful for people like you who remind me not to put too much focus on the negative.
love ya

Kathleen Grace said...

We all have so much to be thankful for. The little things are always there for our enjoyment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails