Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Crock-pot Comes Through Again


Today was a busy day for me, and on busy days I often pull out my old reliable friend...the crock-pot. I have tried many different uses and recipes to be used with my crock-pot, but the one I used today, was a first for me. I had some potatoes that I needed to use. About 12 medium sized potatoes. I was in the mood for mashed potatoes, which remains one of my favorite ways to eat potatoes. I wondered what would happen if I peeled them, cut them in chunks, put them in my Pam sprayed crock-pot, added 2 cups of water, a pad of butter, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Would they be tender enough to mash by late afternoon.? Never hurts to try. Quite honestly, my crock-pot rarely disappoints me in how it prepares my food. Today was no exception. I put it on "High" for 5 hours, and when the time was up...


...the chunks were so tender. I drained the water, whipped the potatoes the way I always do. I am sure you all have your special way of doing that. For me, I add 3/4 cup of hot milk, 2 tsp. soft butter, 1 tsp. garlic powder, a pinch of salt and pepper, whipping with my hand held electric mixer until very smooth. They were so white and fluffy, just as I like them. At this point, I resprayed the crock-pot and put the whipped potatoes back in it, turned it to low, and just let it set until the dinner hour. My friend taught me a few years ago, that the crock-pot on low, is a good way to keep mashed potatoes hot and moist until you are ready to eat them, since I do not like last minute food preparations at my dinners.


So you can see how nicely this whole process worked, creating very little work and prep time for a delicious portion of mashed potatoes. The black specks on the potatoes on this picture are from the black pepper I sprinkled on them. This did make a large portion, so I will use the remaining mashed potatoes to make a potato recipe to give to my daughter and her husband. Her twins are due soon and cooking just seems easier for me than for her, right now.


My dinner centerpiece...the last of the brilliantly colored zinnias from her flower garden. For some reason, zinnias always make me smile. Another reason to smile, is that I now know that my crock-pot will be used often for all of the steps in creating delicious, fluffy mashed potatoes.

20 comments:

southerninspiration said...

That is an excellent idea, and by the way, I LOVE what you've done to your blog!

Suzanne

Charmingdesigns said...

I always enjoy your blog. it is so full of good ideas...Love the mashed potatoes!!! But that coffee one...I'll have to go to Walmart soon and check it out.

LisaShaw said...

Oh I could just climb in with a teaspoon and dip. Just once of course :)

My love and prayers are with your daughter and may the delivery of her precious twins be a safe, healthy and beautiful one.

Love you.

Sheryl said...

loooove the new look of your blog.

brilliant use of a crock pot! seriously i don't know why my mom has never thought of this. those holiday meals will be much easier.

oh i bet you all are getting so excited to welcome those twins!!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Thanks Judy! I'll remember the tip about keeping mashed potatoes warm in a low crock pot at Thanksgiving. I've always mashed them at the last minute up to now and it can be chaotic at times when so many other entrees have to be taken care of!

Stacey said...

What a great idea! So much better than all of the boiling. I will try my best to remember this one.

Judy said...

Great idea...I just wish that crockpot of fluffy mashed potatoes was sitting on my kitchen counter right now. I have company coming...and nothing is prepared as yet!

Anonymous said...

Oh I forgot about the Dollar Tree items until I pulled up your post today. I have got to get there tomorrow. I love the look of those potatoes too. Wishing you all the best with the twins coming.
QMM

Barb said...

Judy, what a great idea. I use my crock pot a LOT!

Barb ♥

Unknown said...

Fantastic. I am so going to make mashed potatoes this way... especially for Thanksgiving.

Thanks so much.

Tracy said...

What a great idea! I'll have to remember this as it's always something to do at the last few moments. Thanks for sharing. They look so delicious! (My all-time favorite comfort food.)

I have actually made baked potatoes in my crockpot(smaller ones that is). I pierce them with a fork, wrap them in foil as usual and then fill the crock pot. I cook them on low all day, and they're ready when we come home from work.

Thanks again!
Blessings,
Tracy

Shelley said...

mashed potatoes are one of my favorite comfort foods! I never would've thought to put them in the crockpot! Thanks for the idea!
Hugs, Shelley

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! I have never thought of making potatoes in my crock pot and I love the idea of keep them warm this way. I'm thinking ahead to days like Thanksgiving when meals come together all at once. It would be great to have a big bowl of mashed potaoes already done and ready to serve. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I am going to try it next week. I like the fact that you put the powdered garlic in them. I usually use sour cream instead of milk but I'm going to try them this way. I hope you are enjoying your day :>)

Bethany said...

Gosh! you're cute, Judy! ...and do you know what always makes me smile? *Y*O*U*
Mashed potatoes are a girl's best friend!
I'm making baked chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy and candied carrots with basil tonight!!! Unfortunately, I haven't splurged on the European crock-pot since we moved over here...sigh...so many small-electrics to collect and they are so so much more expensive here!?
love ya,
B

Happy@Home said...

I think it is a real treat to come in from a busy day and smell dinner - ready & waiting. It almost feels like mom was there in your absence :-)
I must admit I never would have thought to make mashed potatoes this way, but I'm so glad you shared that it can be done! I love mashed potatoes. I also like the idea of keeping them warm in the crock pot. After 28 years of marriage, you have solved that problem. LOL

Blessings each day said...

You have made me very hungry for mashed potatoes...yours look picture perfect, Judy! Is there an extra place at your table?

blessings and hugs,

marcy

a woman who is said...

What a brilliant idea! I loooooove my crock pot. I actually have two sizes. With just me and the hub I use the small one for us. I hate the last minute prep for mashed potatoes around the holidays...thank you, thank you, thank you!

Unknown said...

I'm with you-- Zinnias are my favorites, and so is the crockpot-- thanks for the recipe!

Jenny said...

I always do baked potatoes in my crockpot but never thought about mashed. Thanks for the tip.

The Tuscan Home said...

Hi Judy!!

What a great way of making mashed potatoes. I never would have come up with such a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing...can't wait to try it!

I must tell you, I love your blog! I stopped by this afternoon and had a really good read and enjoyed all of your lovely pictures. By the way, you have a gorgeous family! So glad I found you...smile!

Thank you for stopping by my site and for your sweet comments, I really appreciate it!

Happy fall!

*Hugs*

Liz

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails