Friday, February 6, 2009

Blueberries...My Favorite Fruit

I am one of those rare type of people, who just happens to like blueberries better than candy...yes, any kind of candy. Some of those near and dear to my heart have even gone so far as to label me as a "freak of nature." I just consider the source, smile and go on. I am excited to do a new post on blueberries today. The photo above was one that I cut out of a past issue of "Country Living" magazine British Edition. A magazine that has many talented photographers, and continues to be one of the first ones to grab my attention in the bookstores.



I will share a recipe with you that I made for one of my friend's birthdays. She likes blueberries as much as I do. This recipe I created one time a year or so ago, when I forgot that I had signed up for treat at my church and I only had a small window of time to get the job done. It is so simple, not time consuming and I personally like the way it tastes. In a 9x13 inch pan(mine is very worn after 30 some years of use), I spread out the one pack of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, covering the bottom of the pan. Next I spread a light layer of Whipped cream cheese over the crescent rolls. I sprinkle a light coating of sugar over the cream cheese layer. I took 1 cup of fresh blueberries and added 3/4 cup of blueberry pie filling. Mix together and pour over the cream cheese layer. If you prefer more of the filling and blueberries, you can add more. Depends on what you prefer. I then sprinkle chopped walnuts over all.
Bake in a 350 degree, preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until the edges are light brown.

Let cool for 20 minutes, then cut into bars(whatever size you prefer). At this point, refrigerate. When ready to serve, add a dollop of whipped cream or Cool Whip. I like the new spray cans of Cool Whip...it works for me. I added a silver dragee on top of each bar, just to dress them up a bit. The white plate I found at a Marshall's Homegoods Store. Then to go along with my blueberry theme, I made a birthday card for her, using photos from old magazines, and Happy Birthday stickers. I finished it off with a blue sheer ribbon tied to the one handle.


Here is what I had for breakfast this morning...JUST KIDDING!!!! Actually, it is another photo from a Country Living Magazine. I thought it should be shared in my blueberry post. I do often serve blueberry pancakes and sometimes with Smucker's Blueberry syrup.

I wanted to share this blueberry fact with you also. I have baked many different blueberry muffin recipes over the years, some that I thought were so delicious. But, my daughters still claim that their favorite blueberry muffins are the ones that come from this box. When my middle daughter was in college, these are the muffins she requested for her birthday. This is one of those" just in case you are interested" facts.


What in the world does this photo have to do with blueberries...well, absolutely nothing, except that it brings me far more happiness than blueberries ever could.







7 comments:

Happy@Home said...

Mmmm . . . your recipe sounds yummy. Like you I also love blueberries. My husband makes blueberry buttermilk pancakes from scratch and they are delicious. What a nice gift and card you made for your friend. I enjoy seeing the creative gift and card ideas you come up with.

The last photo might not have had anything to do with blueberries, but it sure is adorable!!

Have a nice weekend.

Jeane` said...

While I thought the pictures were pretty, and the recipe sounds delish, I was most impressed with your writing! You capped it off so nicely..came around full circle (in keeping with the blueberry theme) and I enjoyed some dashes of humor in between! You certainly are 'growing' in all the ways of blogging!!! :)
Christopher is sitting here with me as I'm writing...he likes looking at your blog too!! (and finding himself on it!).
Love,
J.

Stacey said...

Sounds delicious!! I love blueberries.

Judy said...

You make me want to go whip up something with blueberries...and they are not even my most favourite fruit! It all looks good over here...and I agree...there's no fruit that can compare with the joy we get from our loved ones. Sweet pic!

Shelley said...

Your recipe looks divine!!
My in-laws have close to 10 acres of wild blue berry plants that we pick in the summer! Maybe I'll make some blueberry jam and send some your way! :-)

LisaShaw said...

Hey Judy, I tried to leave a message but I'm unsure if it went through. Anyway I love this and the last photo was priceless!!!

Love ya.

Landis said...

I have this incredible craving for blueberries at the moment! :) ...Thanks for cheering Dustin and I on Mrs. Martin! Love ya!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails