Friday, October 24, 2008

For Her Birthday...Her Very Favorite Meal

When given a choice as to what meal she wanted for her birthday, this was the immediate response. I have made these "Crescent Cristo Sandwich Loaves" many times over the years. I discovered the recipe in a little "Pillsbury Cookbook". It was a blue ribbon winner of Lori Ann Rizzo in 1994. It always receives compliments when served. It is one of those recipes that you can make and assemble ahead of time, refrigerate, and then bake right before serving.
Above, is two packages of crescent rolls, opened and divided into four rectangles. You brush each rectangle lightly with a mixture of melted butter and honey, before baking for 8 to 10 minutes. With my 0ven, I use 350 degrees instead of the 375 degrees called for. Also, I have found that it works best if the oven rack is in the middle of the oven, instead of lower. This will keep the dough from getting too well done. Since I was having my family, I used eight packs of crescent rolls, and repeated the recipe four times.


The recipe calls for 8 servings. I do 3 or 4 servings per loaf, because this was our meal and I had some hungry guys.

When layered with sliced turkey, sliced ham and cheese, raspberry preserves and topped with honey and sesame seeds, it is ready for the refrigerator or the oven, depending on your time schedule. This is good served as leftovers the next day. My husband took them to work for his lunch today and will warm it in the microwave. It was a delicious birthday meal that we had, and it was topped off with her favorite "Magic Bars" for dessert. A fun choice for a birthday cake, and she made baked them.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

YUM! Jeane' made this for us when we were at her house last week! I have been meaning to ask for the recipe! It was so good! Thanks Aunt Judy!
~Jackie

Lauren said...

Aunt Judy- I had to tell you....I made this tonight for Jimmy and I for dinner and it was delicious. thanks SO much for all your recipies. I'm excited to give them all try. :-) Love you

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails