Thursday, September 4, 2008

What To Do With Old Sewing Machine Drawers...

Since antique malls and flea markets are locations that I am drawn to, I have seen so many old wooden sewing machine drawers. I recognize them because of seeing them and even using them, in my growing up years. My grandmas, my mother, my home-ec teachers and my 4H leaders, all had hopes that maybe I would learn to sew someday. It did not happen, although I do remember my valiant efforts. For some reason, everytime I see drawers like these, I immediately remember back to those days. They are inexpensive and probably many people walk right past them on given occasions. Not me. I used one of them for my daughter's birthday gift. I bought four old glass quart jars for $1.00 each. I filled each of them with supplies that I knew she uses at her desk, pens, pencils, scissors, ruler, plastic glue containers, and stick on notes.
I liked these colorful gel pens that I found at an office supply store. Hopefully, all of these things will come in handy for a busy mother. She can set the box on her desk or on in the corner of her (almost) newly completed vintage kitchen. Who knows, the drawer might have been from my grandma's sewing maching years ago.
This is a picture of another wooden sewing drawer that I had done awhile ago. I filled the box with soft fluffy hand towels from the clearance shelf at Marshalls, an inspirational book to read, good smelling shower gel and two soft pink glass pieces that I found for $ 2.00 at a flea market, with battery operated votives in each one. Actually, this gift could be used for many different occasions, although I think it would be a pampering gift for a new mother, for someone who just went through surgery, or even had a special birthday.
I picture this box setting on a bathroom counter, or a shelf in a powder room. Wherever, and however is not important. What is important, is the thought and the care that went into creating it for someone that you love. Now, perhaps you will take a second look if you walk past some old discarded, wooden sewing machine drawers...they just could bless someone's life.

2 comments:

Jeane` said...

I soooo appreciate my drawer-full of goodies. Thank you so much mom!!!
Love you!
Jeane`

Unknown said...

Thank You for yet another GREAT dinner this evening!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails