Friday, September 12, 2008

So This Is What It's Like To Be A Grandma

This sign graces the wall of my powder room. It makes me smile everytime I see it. The last few days brought this saying to life. I have had the joy of spending lots of hours with my grandchildren, some more than others, but all in all, it continues to be so very memorable to me. This evening my husband asked me if I have been spoiling them during their time with me. I don't think so, although time will tell.At fourteen years of age, Rick taught me how to have ice cubes stick to one's tongue, sometimes many at a time. Must admit, I never thought of that , at least not in the last 40 years. I think that might just be one of those things that "stays at Grandma's"(except for all of you that might read this posting).
Another concept I am picking up in my role as grandma, is that things are NOT always as they appear. I may look at a situation involving my grandchildren, and think how very sweet they treat each other. Well, not to be. In the 15 minutes that I gave them to play together in the same crib, I noticed true love and kindness coming from brother to sister. So much so that I took a picture of the tender moment. The moment after this was taken, he proceeded to push her out of his way so that he could retreive the toy that she had at her feet. Another one of those moments that will stay at Grandma's house. Probably, because I remember all to well, doing the same thing to my younger brother many years ago.
When it is quiet, and you are not sure where they are and what they could possibly be up to...you had better expect anything. Really, it was only a few minutes, and I did not know he was in our bedroom. I walked in, calling his name, and here is exactly what I found. An adorable two year old that had been in his grandfather's closet and had found his size 11 sneakers. His facial expression tells all, he was caught in the act. I still smile when I see this picture. Yes...there are many things that happen in this newly found role that I find myself in...things that will stay at Grandma's house. And Grandma, or Maw Maw, as they younger ones call me, will treasure them all in her heart, because she is aware of how very fast time flies. Before she knows it, they will be all grown up.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails