Saturday, May 23, 2015


Last evening, we took a drive through the countryside, offering us a beautiful, yet simple
way to start out our holiday weekend.  After a long, cold winter, the sights before us
presented way too many photo ops for me.  It was a picture perfect evening!  For many,
sunny skies just extended the work day, as you can see by this picture.



Farmland always presents a calming, peaceful and orderly feeling to those passing by.



As you know from previous years, I cannot pass by roadside stands, offering fresh goodness
from the farms.  We came upon the attractive, clean, and good smelling farm store, about
45 minutes into our ride.



There were a plethora of signs on the lawn out front, adding enticement to a "must see" experience.

 
 
 Colorful, healthy looking flowers were everywhere!


Custom planted pots and hanging baskets, filled the front of the stand.  I found myself
wondering how they could keep everything looking so alive, and growing.



Fresh, homegrown rhubarb was the first of the vegetables that I came upon.  Now, I must
admit, I am not a rhubarb type of person, but what I immediately remembered when I
looked at the rhubarb, was the rhubarb quick bread that my friend Arlene brought along as
a treat to our Bible Study years ago.  Recently, I discovered her handwritten recipe in
my file, and knew I had to make it again.  I clearly remember how delicious it
had tasted, as she brought it warm from the oven, to our Thursday morning get-together.
I will share the recipe, and my attempt at making the bread, with you in another post.


Homegrown asparagus filled the blue tub.



Brilliantly red, ripe tomatoes were a picture waiting to be taken!


The sign above the cash register clearly said it all, and I found it to a great way to advertise
their success story, and the reason the small store was filled with people.  And...can I tell you,
the sweet aroma of the cider donuts frying, filled the air.


The first fresh, homegrown strawberries of the season, presented another photo opportunity,
as the filled pint boxes covered the entire counter.  I was told they had picked them that
morning.  I could not decide which one offered the most temptation for me...the cider donuts
or the boxes of strawberries:).



The sign out front advertised a very special treat.  Every Friday and Saturday, the magic
happened. 


And, here is where it happened.  The spotless fryer and the girl operating it, produced these
best smelling morsels.  I bought a half dozen. 


My husband had two when we arrived home, with a cold glass of milk.  Celebrating the
holiday in simple fashion ...... works for him.  He raved about the taste, through every bite he
took.  We are both trying to forget now, that they make these delectable masterpieces,
every Friday and Saturday through the entire summer:)


The baked good shelves were filled with other goodies from their kitchen, and I found it
difficult to not purchase one of each.


Quiet, peaceful, serenity existed at this thriving produce stand in the middle of the farmland...


...providing scenes of relaxation...


...and hard work at the same time.  Nature was alive in every direction that we looked.


Another highlight, was dinner at one of our favorite restaurants.
The food was exceptional tasting and our server Jessica, added to our
evening memories.  Don't you just love to find restaurants where the
food and the service both receive high grades?



The glorious sunset seemed like the best way possible to end our Friday night
ride.
 
I wanted to share this with you.  The week is been a difficult one for us.  We
lost two good friends, and another dear friend had a stroke yesterday, at an
out of state hospital.  Our hearts were heavy as we rode, and yet at the same
time were filled with gratitude for the exquisite beauty and peacefulness that we took in
during the evening.  At times, it is good to get away and spend time in
thought and prayer.  It is comforting and soothing to our hearts.
 
Wishing you and your family, moments of joy as you spend time together 
this weekend.  
 
Also, our hearts are filled with gratitude towards everyone
who has served and is serving in our United States Military.  We are so
grateful for you, and we appreciated the many United States flags that
we saw flying during our ride...
 
 
...at churches, schools, businesses, and by the driveways of private homes.
 
Freedom... is a huge gift!  May we never take it for granted!
 
 

13 comments:

debi said...

Wonderful post, and yes so thankful for our military past and present!

Hugs!

Christine said...

I really appreciate your "tours". You live in a beautiful part of our country.
Actually, we all live in a beautiful part of the wonderful country.
Let Freedom Ring!
Thank you to ALL service people who make this true.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Your posts NEVER disappoint! My mouth is watering over all the good vegggies, fruits and those donuts. My goodness! And, the beautiful scenery. No wonder it was good for your soul after a tough week. Wishing you peace and comfort in the days ahead.

Anneliese said...

You just reminded me of what a beautiful place you live in! I'll take a donut and a basket of strawberries!

lindsey said...

I always love your posts Judy, but this one is exceptionally perfect! Your photos of all the produce, especially the fresh fruit and vegetables are amazing and I love how you live close to the Amish and can see them going about their daily tasks.

Stacey said...

Judy, I love seeing where you live! It's so different from here in Texas. It's funny because people picture Texas with rolling acreage but the truth is that it's pretty crowded here! Lots of people and built up areas. Of course we do live near Dallas but still....

The countryside where you are is so pretty I'd probably be wrecking the car just looking around. Can't even imagine having all those fresh fruits and veggies.

Judy said...

Let me tell you that you have the best farming landscapes around! I can easily put myself right back there on those country roads...soaking in the scenery. And the roadside stands and markets are not something that can be easily found elsewhere. Thanks for taking us along on your country tour! I hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

Liz said...

I love the pictures from your road trip! We have stayed in Amish country many of times during the pipeliners work adventures. Those roadside stands always make for the best stops! Very sorry to read of the lose of loved ones. Always a hard thing!

corners of my life said...

Such a lovely post in so many ways.
I love rhubarb and look forward to your rhubarb quick bread recipe.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

How refreshing to visit your neck of the woods and enjoy such beauty through your wonderful photos!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Oh, and I also want to say how sorry we are for the losses of your friends! {hugs}

Joy said...

Hello! I've followed your blog for awhile but never posted. First of all, I'm sorry for your recent losses.
The pictures you've shared are about the most beautiful I've seen! The serenity and beauty is captivating!

Happy@Home said...

I never tire of the photos you share from your part of our country. It always looks so pretty and peaceful. As I scrolled through this post I was getting lost in the beauty of it all and wasn't expecting to learn of the losses and serious health challenges among your close friends. I am so very sorry. My heart is truly heavy for you. May the peacefulness and beauty of your surroundings continue to bring you comfort at this time. Hugs to you, dear Judy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails