Tuesday, January 20, 2015



When I found myself with extra slices of homemade sourdough bread, and did not want to
freeze it, I decided to make heart croutons.  After all, February is right around the corner.


I took my smaller heart cutter and in no time at all, had a large pan filled with the bread
hearts.  I sautéed them in with a coating of extra light olive oil, a touch of butter, and
a bit of Jane's seasoning.  I cooked them on medium heat, turning often, until they were
golden brown.  Upon removing from heat, I let them cool thoroughly.  Now, instead of
slices of extra bread, I had lots of delicious heart croutons.

 
 I put them on my husband's dinner salad, just for fun.  Actually, it is his birthday this week,
and he is a special guy:), so he got hearts.


My daughter gave me this great idea for salads a few months ago, and I've use it on my
salads since then?  It adds a bit of a sweet taste to the salad ingredients. 


I cut up the dried mangos or apricots, with a kitchen scissors, and sprinkled them on the salad.


I took some of the croutons and tied them into a clear cellophane bag.  I will add it to a salad
gift box that I am putting together as a small gift.

Just a little something from me the "heart lady", who as you know, likes the time of the year
when Valentine's Day comes around.
 


I want to be the first to wish this very special guy in my life, a Happy 63rd Birthday!

Thank you for stopping by!

6 comments:

Stacey said...

That's just such a delicious and fun idea. Your mind never stops thinking of thoughtful things, does it? :)

Just a little something from Judy said...

Stacey, you do an outstanding job in decorating rooms! Me, I decorate food and gifts:). I like both!

debi said...

Happy Birthday to your special guy! Love the photo of you to...it's what I call frame worthy :-)
Loved the crouton idea, and yes perfect timing for Valentines day.


Hugs!

Judy ~ My Front Porch said...

You always come up with the best ideas for making something special out of the ordinary! Love your heart croutons.

And a happy birthday to you 'special guy' from Elmer and I. It's birthday week over here as well...I celebrated my 63rd yesterday. 1952 was a very good year!

Privet and Holly said...

I am pinning this sweet
idea, for sure ~ thanks for
sharing it!

You and your man are one
very attractive couple. I
know he must be very special,
because you are a dear.

Enjoy spoiling him : )

xo Suzanne

Kelli said...

I always love my visits to your blog. I come away with wonderful recipes and gift giving ideas and I always feel inspired to try a little harder each day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails