Friday, March 22, 2013

 Birthdays...

"I think it is more important to celebrate a birthday than a successful exam,

a promotion, or a victory.  Because to celebrate a birthday means to say to

someone;  Thank you for being you.  Celebrating a birthday is exalting life

and being glad for it.  On a birthday we do not say;  Thanks for what you

did or said, or accomplished.  No, we say;  "Thank you for being born and

being among us."

~Henri Nouwen  "Here and Now"



Last evening we hosted a tiny celebration for a dear cousin and friend.   A few of us gathered around the table at our local Panera, and for two hours we talked, laughed, and caught up with each other's lives, in an informal get together.

Homemade oatmeal and chocolate chip muffins filled each beautifully decorated,  and recycled tin.  The favors were provided, thanks to the creativity and generosity of the evening's hostess. 


The birthday girl and me.  She is so much fun to be with!


Laughter was the predominate feature of the evening, thanks to the comedians in our midst.  My oldest daughter being one of them.

I grew up in a home where birthdays were always made special occasions.  Where one was made to feel important just for being who they were.
 
If you know someone who is having a birthday today, let them know how much you appreciate them and their role in your life.
 
Speaking of birthdays...today is my youngest brother's birthday.
He is an important part of our lives, and today we celebrate him.
 



"Happy Birthday" dear brother!  Oh, and lest you think this is his 50th, the picture was taken a few years ago:)

To each of you...you have an important role to play in this life we live.  I appreciate each one of you who visit me here, and if you happen to be having a birthday today..."Happy Birthday"!

I read a well written post on "Finding Happy" recently, and I know you would appreciate it too.  If you are interested in reading this inspiring piece written by Suzanne, you can find it at ...   http://www.privetandholly.com/

Thanks for stopping by today.


8 comments:

Stacey said...

This is a sweet post and a great reminder. My mother in law is just wonderful about birthdays...I'm going to make sure she reads this. :)

Crickit said...

I have always made birthday's special in my home too! Great pics! :)

Melinda said...

This day should be our most special
day.

Mr Ken and I enjoy making birthdays
fun!

M :)

Gramma 2 Many said...

I love birthdays for exactly the same reason. It is a day to honor a person for just being. Huge gifts are not necessary at all. Just a little time together is enough.
Glad you had such a fun evening.

Happy@Home said...

What a wonderful quote and a great way to look at birthdays.
Your birthday gathering for your cousin looks like a fun time. I think sometimes those informal gatherings are more fun than the ones that take great effort.
Happy Birthday to your brother!

Judy said...

Great Henri Nouwen quote...and a good reminder to celebrate people for who they are...not what they have done or said. It looks like you had a fun birthday celebration last night!

debi said...

What at beautiful way to look at birthdays!
We always let the kids pick the menu for their birthdays, so fun to often see those inexpensive but filling meals from their childhoods :-)

Have a beautiful weekend


Hugs!

lindsey said...

I love your photo's Judy you are all having so much fun. You are right, to celebrate birthdays is important. I love to see you and your daughter laughing together, I think she is probably so much like my eldest daughter...outgoing and entertaining!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails