Tuesday, March 12, 2013


"Being heard is so close to being loved that for the average person, they are almost indistinguishable."
~David Augsburger




"The most basic of all human needs is the need to understand and be understood.  The best way to understand people is to listen to them."
~Ralph G. Nichols




We attended a lovely Saturday wedding of a dear lifelong friend of our youngest daughter.  As we watched the young couple glide across the dance floor, I watched as the groom stared lovingly at his beautiful new bride.  I thought to myself at the time, if he would ever ask me for some helpful advice on marriage, I would tell him to listen to his wife with his heart first, then his ears.  To listen, really listen to what she says.  I can't tell you what a gift it is to have a husband that listens in this way.  It is a special gift in my life.

"There is a lot of difference between listening and hearing."
~G.K. Chesterton

7 comments:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I so agree. Love the photos you shared, especially the one of your husband and grandson!

Judy ~ My Front Porch said...

So true...that the best way to understand people is to listen. Great quotes...and wise words 'from Judy' as well.

lindsey said...

That is such a sweet photo of grandson and grandpa. You are so right about the importance of listening Judy. I am sure that your example as a married couple has been an invaluable gift to your children.

Stacey said...

I'm glad you posted this today. I need to slow down and listen to my son more often.

Privet and Holly said...

Funny, we are on the
same wave length this
week.....I have a necklace
that has a charm on it
that says, "Listen," and
I have worn it twice this
week, just to remind
myself how important it
is to do just that! Love
that you are keyed into
this, too.

Hope you are having a
great week, Judy!

xo Suzanne

Crickit said...

A listening ear is really hard to find these days! So glad your hubby is a good listener :)

Sassy Granny ... said...

Immediately I thought of the Lord's wisdom: " ... let him who has ears to hear, hear."

Such a godly trait is listening. No wonder you love & respect your husband.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails