Wednesday, November 30, 2011



Do you remember this candy like I do? 




Do you remember looking into Grandma's fancy candy jar when you were small?  This classic "Hammond's" candy has been around since 1920.  Isn't that an interesting fact?  Way back then, the Hammond's Company put all those colors and flavors together?  I am sure our grandmas thought it quite a luxury to have a bag of candy like this.  Maybe they only dreamt about having candy.






What is it about me, that makes me buy a small bag of this candy just for display?  I bought this last Christmas and put it back in the candy jar this Christmas.




Same with the "Sevigny's" Thin Ribbon Candy.  I have memories of eating this candy at my Grandma's house.  The company has been making ribbon candy since 1926.  Do you all remember this candy?  What memories does it evoke when you see the bright ribbon pieces?
Yes, this has lasted a year in the box, and you might just see it next Christmas.  It is too pretty to eat, and candy is not a temptation for me.





I was given this "Heidel" vintage box of chocolates last year.  I don't have memories of this candy and I have no idea how many years the company has been in business.  What I do like,is displaying the colorful tin, and...




...the vintage decorations of each of the four individual candy bars.  Don't you think they look good sitting on my white wooden kitchen shelf?

Memories and vintage packaging make fun vignettes, and no calories.
That's it, from this rather "odd" blogger this evening:)

10 comments:

lindsey said...

I like the look of Grandma's candy...we used to have something here in the UK and probably still do in the right places....I will have to have a look around!

Crickit said...

Oh my Goodness! I was just thinking about this christmas candy! My grandma also had a special jar of this candy on her coffee table. What great memories those pictures of that ribbon candy bring to my mind. Many wonderful Christmas' with family!

Do you know where I can get some? I haven't seen it in any stores in years... maybe online?

Just a little something from Judy said...

Cricket, I think I bought the box of ribbon candy at The Cracker Barrel Restaurant, last year. I don't think you have them where you live. If I see any at other locations, I let you know. So good to hear from you, as always.

Nanette said...

Thank you again, Judy! I needed a little cheering up and your blog made me smile again. My grandmother had the same candy jar and I try to duplicate each Christmas for my Aunt Alice.

Debbie said...

I have no interest in eating it, but it sure brought back memories. It's so pretty! I remember the pieces with the stars on them and even then we thought they were old fashioned. Thanks for posting those pictures!
Debbie

Judy said...

I so enjoy your reminders of Christmas past! Love the vintage candies...and decor.

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

I rememeber OH so well the look and taste of those candies.

My grandma always had them too! What great memories those candies have brought to my mind!!

Enjoy this Christmas season my friend.

Kim~

debi said...

So many memories in your photos...

You're a constant reminder of days past....glad you cause us to remember.

Hugs!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I do remember this type of hard Christmas candy, Judy. My father also like licorice and had the multicolor kind at the holidays.

I also like pretty tins and sometimes buy a box of cookies just because it is in a pretty tin ;)

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Oh what memories...So glad that I stopped by.....A beautiful post

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails