Thursday, February 4, 2010

"Roses are the world's most talked about flowers. They are the unrivaled heroines and centers of attention in any garden. Stacks of books and magazines relate the stages of the rose's long history, provide rules and guidelines for keeping roses healthy and describe in abundant detail the thousands upon thousands of varieties that have been created." ~Roses by Orietta Sala
This week my uncle photographed these roses and sent the photos to me. When I saw the exquisite beauty of each rose, in the midst of the cold winter day, it brightened my day. Thanks to my uncle for once again sharing his photographic talents with me.


I was reminded of the special women in my life and the love of roses that they so carefully instilled in me. Both of my grandmas and my mother favored roses. I remember spending time in my grandma's gardens, observing the varieties of roses growing there. I remember my grandma telling me she liked when her roses had touches of dew on them when she put them in her crystal vases.



Because of that instilled appreciation, I have many touches of this beautiful and delicate flower in my home. This is the one plate of a set that I found in an antique mall a few years ago. It has six plates and six cups and saucers.




This is one of my mother's favorite plates.



Another plate from my mother's collection that I think it is so delicately and colorfully created.
This weekend we are to be hit with another major winter snow storm. They estimate we may receive 12 - 18 inches. It seems like it will be a long time until the rose bushes outside my window, start to bloom. I am thankful for the love and appreciation I inherited for this beautiful, fragrant flower from some very special ladies in my life.




7 comments:

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Hello Judy!
Just wanted to stop by and let you know I'm thinking of you!
The rose plates are lovely. I have such an attraction for flowered plates--if I did not keep myself under control all my cabinets would be filled with these beauties and I would have room for nothing else!Tee Hee!
I enjoyed the delightful rose pictures too!
Have a wonderful day!
With Love from the Cabin,

Claudia O.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I've always loved roses although I'm unfortunately not able to grow them in my yard, Judy, as my house is shaded by a large tree.

The rose is also my birth month flower!

Your Uncle too lovely photos..thank you for sharing them and also those of your pretty china pieces.

Happy@Home said...

What a pretty post you have put together today, Judy. Your uncle's photos are beautiful and I almost feel like I can smell the roses.
How special that the love of roses is shared by many generations of women in your family. I enjoyed seeing you and your mom's rose plates. They are gorgeous.
I hope the snowstorm isn't too bad for you this weekend.

Rach said...

Very pretty. I love roses.

Barb said...

Judy, such a beautiful and gracious post. You are very special!

Barb ♥

Tracy said...

How beautiful! I've always liked roses, but I appreciate them more and more the older I grow. Of all the flowers out there, it's hard to top the beauty of a rose that's been kissed with dew. Enjoyed seeing these cherished items from your home! Thanks for sharing them with us. = )

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Roses on plates...my fine china has a single magenta rose in the center. I love your collection and memories of the beautiful flower. Do you have a favorite color of rose?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails