Tuesday, January 19, 2010

New For This Year...Mini Desserts


On Saturday afternoon, in an antique mall where I chose to browse, I found this set in a booth with a 50 % off everything sign. I am always drawn to signs like that. I liked this small pitcher and six tiny glass cups. Now, you may be wondering at this point just what I had in mind when I made this purchase?
I am not one for New Year's resolutions. I discovered a long time ago that it just does not work for me. But, what I decide to do in this coming year, when I have people over for dinner, I am going to start serving "mini desserts". This is a new trend in the hospitality world. And, as my mother says, "she wants just a little something sweet for dessert." So many people are cutting back on sugar, and many are cutting out desserts from daily life.
I am chosing not to go to such drastic measures when serving dinner to my guests, but I am going to follow this new trend.
When I visited a restaurant in Florida, two years ago, they had mini chocolate milkshakes on the dessert menu. Some in our party chose that item and what a hit it was!
Hence, my thought process when I purchased this glass set on Saturday.


There are many chocolate milkshake recipes out there. The one I used, I have included below;
"Mini Chocolate Milkshakes"
4 1/2 cups of chocolate ice cream
1 1/2 cups of whole milk
1 TB sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Blend half of ice cream, half of milk, half of sugar, and vanilla in blender until smooth. Divide shake amoung 5 or 6 very small glasses. Repeat with remaining ice cream, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Serve immediately.
I served this mini milkshake with three mini peanut butter crackers, and a regular straw cut down to the needed size.
I find this dessert a hit with my guests. Now, if the "mini" size annoys some, I will serve them a larger size.




This is another one of my "mini dessert" choices. I used my little glass votive holders. I filled it with 1 1/2 scoops of vanilla ice cream using my tiny ice cream scoop. I drizzled some chocolate syrup, and sprinkled some Fisher Mixed Nut Topping. I served this with a small condiment spoon, and a fresh strawberry on the side.
In my mind, this is the perfect way to finish a dinner out or at home with guests.





Another idea that I learned from the restaurant world, was to serve a plate with "hot from the oven" mini chocolate chip cookies and a small glass of cold milk. This also is a hit with my guests. Not to mention the aroma of chocolate chip cookies baking beforehand.
Another "little something sweet" for after dinner.
The cookies that are shown above, are some that my husband really enjoys. They are embarassingly simple.

I take a pack of Toll House Ulitmates and cut the rectangular shaped dough into tinier pieces than the originally shown lines. I take the tiny pieces of dough and put them on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 - 12 minutes at 350 degrees. When I remove the tray of cookies from the oven, I immediately break a small piece of the Ghirardelli Mint Bliss Bar and lay it on each tiny cookie. After a minute or so, I take the back of a spoon and smooth the melted chocolate over the top of each cookie. So easy and so delicious, if you enjoy the taste of chocolate mint. I serve this on a plate with a small glass of cold milk and a cut to size straw.

This idea seems to make sense to me, in a age where everyone seems to be thinking in a healthy fashion. But, if you find this to be an idea that just does not work for you, or if you happen to be one of those people who would rather eat dessert than dinner...then please forgive me for this post.

18 comments:

Thoughts on Life and Millinery. said...

Cute! I've clipped out a picture of dessert "shots"...shot glasses filled with one bite of desserts, like brownies and a melon ball of ice cream, just tiny portions embellished beautifully. Switzerland offered that kind of dessert and I loved it.

I'm also serving creamed soups or bisque in demitasse cups as appetizers now. It is actually more fun to make a mini treat (and have a second helping if desired) than it is to serve up a big portion.

Melinda said...

Oh my gosh--very clever ideas!
Love the cookie recipe--mint bliss!
I'd be in bliss. YUM. :)

Rach said...

So cute! I love this idea!

Marty said...

What a wonderful idea. You've got me thinking of how to mini-size some of my favorite desserts - caramel pudding, various cakes, etc.... But the milkshakes win the prize for me!

Kathleen said...

OK ... isn't that an oxymoron: mini-dessert?

My entire network of cupboards contains nothing smaller than a soup bowl, unless it would be a one-cup measuring cup. I suppose that would suffice for "mini" at my house, but I'd be in big trouble with the big dessert eaters that make their way here.

Then again, "mini" is probably exactly what's needed.

You are so darn clever!

Blessings,
Kathleen

Happy@Home said...

I think this is a wonderful trend. Last week my son & I had dinner at Applebee's and each had one of their mini desserts served in a large shot glass. I thought it to be the perfect ending to the meal.
Your ideas are all mouth watering. I would probably choose the milk and cookies as I am a fan of chocolate mint.
Your creative ideas continue to bless my life on a daily basis.

Stephanie said...

I have seen this set before, but never with 50% off! Lucky find! The dessert idea is great too!!
Would be great for my daughters bridal shower!
~Stephanie~

southerninspiration said...

Judy what a fabulous idea! Those are so cute and seem like just the perfect amount!!!
Thanks for your email today....I have enjoyed chatting with you! ;)

Suzanne

Tracy said...

What a wonderful idea!!! Thanks for sharing these great tips! This post reminded me a couple of months ago when my hubby and I were having dinner together, and ordered a "special" it came with our choice of mini desserts...they were just the right touch of sweetness. <3

P.S. Thank you for your kind words about my nephew today! = )

Miss Gracie's House said...

Great idea...I'm into mini desserts myself these days...what a lovely way to serve! Your daughter left me the sweetest note the other day...brought me to tears...I felt her pain and celebrated her blessings!
Rene'

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Judy

So sorry I have been missing...life has been so hectic this past week. I'm also sorry I missed your 500 something post give away ...I didn't realize you've been blogging so long...congratulations! That is such a wonderful accomplishment and I'm so glad I came upon your blog from our Canadian friend Judy.

This is a lovely beverage set and mini desserts sound like a perfect way to indulge in a healthy way. I love milkshakes!

a woman who is said...

You are so clever Judy. I think the mini desserts are a good way to go.

Love all your ideas. Thanks for sharing them with us.

lindsey said...

Fantastic idea...although my family would probably still want huge deserts!!! Very pretty glasses. I love milkshakes and cookies together, especially hot from the oven with the chocolate still melting....hmmmm!

Judy said...

Such fun ways to serve desserts...thanks for sharing them with us. I'm wondering if Toll House ultimates are available here...love your idea for mini cookies. So many great tips...thanks!

Love Being A Nonny said...

LOVE this idea....just a *taste* of something sweet. It's really all I can handle after a big meal anyway. Such a simple, sweet idea! Thanks for sharing!

LisaShaw said...

Oh Judy, I have missed my visits and so enjoyed this post! I have some catching up to do with you so I'm excited to get going through your posts.

Love and prayers for you and your family always!!!

Anonymous said...

These little mini dessert look so delicious! Now you have me out looking for some little glasses :>) I think this is a great idea. Thank you for sharing.

Lovella ♥ said...

I love mini treats and if we all did that . ..obesity would be a word of the past.
I often just need a bite. .not a whole dessert. We often share and more often I have guests requesting a very small piece. .so I love your idea.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails