Tuesday, July 19, 2016


For years, this nice wooden chime clock sat in the upstairs closet.  The clock was a gift to
my dad, from the company.  Inside, his name and the date was engraved on brass. 
This clock was placed in the closet because we had misplaced the brass
key that was used to wind it each week.  As we were cleaning out the closets, we found
the key.  Now, once again, it sits in our home, ringing out it's pretty chimes, every 15
minutes. Are we happy with the chiming process now?

Well, last week, at the same time, my husband and I both remarked, that the chimes seem to
be ringing constantly.  It is a continuous reminder to us, of how fast time is going, and
quite honestly, we aren't sure we appreciate it.

Recently, we had another stark reminder of the rapid pace of time.

 
It happened when our daughter and her grandma, sat at the same dinner table, as me and
my granddaughter.  I sat there observing it all, and I can't express to you, how it felt.


 
How did it happen so quickly?  A blink, and here it is.  And, if I live to see it,
in a few brief years...
 

I might be sitting with my great-grandchildren, trying to balance them all on my lap, as
my Mother-in-Law is doing here a few weeks ago.  I really like this picture!

These thoughts on time, and the speed with which it travels, clearly remind me of a poem
that my grandmother taught me.  She had it printed and framed in her home;

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power,
 To tell just when the clock will stop, at late or early hour.

To lose one's wealth is sad indeed.
To lose one's health is more.
But, to lose one's soul is such a loss
That no man can restore.

The present only is our own,
 So Live, Love, toil with a will--
 Place no faith in 'Tomorrow'--
 For the clock may then be still."

~Robert H. Smith 1932-1982

I pray that the older I get, the more I am reminded of the importance of each minute I have, 
and that somehow I take time to pass on that concept to my grandchildren.

"My times are in Your hands."  Psalm 31:15a.  This verse was one that my Mother
quoted so often in her life:). 


Here is a gift for you today!  Thanks for taking the time to stop by to visit me.

3 comments:

corners of my life said...

Looking ahead with anticipating and looking back with thoughtfulness.

Debbie said...

LOVED this post Judy, and that poem. Just soo true. We are reminded every single day that no man knows the day or hour our souls will be required of us. I think I am entering the winter of my life based on my age. But for all I know it's the winter of the life of one of my sweet grands. We do need to cherish each other and every minute we have here. I'd love to think I will live to balance a few great grand babies on my lap, but who knows? But I am blessed with one already. Hope your summer is going well.

Anneliese said...

I attended a funeral this past week and was reminded that every one of us will one day have a birthdate and a death date - But what will matter is the dash.... How did I spend that dash? Just like that clock we do not know the day it expires. May we live to honor God every day we have been given. I see you doing that with a little something from Judy ...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails