Thursday, October 15, 2015

 


It was found on the floor of a local, consignment store.  It was sitting on the floor,
surrounded by other pieces of old, unwanted, and discarded furniture.  It has served it's
purpose for many a year, perhaps in some farmhouse, or maybe in some row home.
Now, it sat unwanted, along with all the other pieces, on the crowded floor of the
old store.

It was then that my sister-in-law walked in and discovered it sitting there. 
She, with her creative insight, saw beauty in it's future.  She paid a few dollars for it,
and lugged it home.  I don't know if you are like me or not, but I find it so
inspiring to see old pieces made new.  When I walked in through the front door of her
farmhouse, here is what I saw...


She had cleaned it thoroughly.  She removed all of it's hardware.  She sanded it, to rid it
of it's many nicks and bruises:)  And then she lovingly painted it, and brought it back to
life in such a beautiful way, all for a few dollars and lots of time.


I was so impressed with her skills and her decorating sense, especially considering that she
had not tackled a job like this one previously.  It looked so attractive sitting in the foyer, with
it's new look and it's dressed up style.


At the same consignment shop, she found this old wooden table, and once again, paid
a few dollars for it.  She followed the same steps as the buffet above.  It too,
was given a second chance to shine in life.  It looked so good, along with the old, painted
wooden chairs.


On a visit to a nearby farm with her husband, she discovered the above piece, stashed away
underneath discarded pieces of old, unused farm equipment.  In an unique set of circumstances,
her husband was able to barter with the farmer, and she left with the piece. 


Another cleaning, sanding, and staining, along with hours of time, and look what she now
has, serving as a coffee table, in the family room of her guest house.  If you are interested
in reading about their guest house, you can visit my post from November 16, 2014.


Three old, unused, unwanted pieces, found new purpose and were given a new look, by
my sister-in-law.  She saw beyond their condition, and saw what they could become.


Thanks to my sister-in-law for the inspiration you gave to me, last Saturday morning.  And,
for the beautiful sights I once again received, while sitting on your porch.

5 comments:

corners of my life said...

What I wouldn't give to be able to see the potential in those old pieces. Your sister is very talented.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Yes, I likely would never see such potential in those pieces, but they are so lovely. Happy weekend!

Judy said...

What a great job your sis-in-law did on all those projects! She has a good eye for seeing the potential in 'junk'. And she does a beautiful job of re-finishing the pieces. Thanks for sharing!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Each piece turned out beautifully. Your sister in law is very talented, indeed.

Anneliese said...

I love seeing what creative people can do with old cast offs. With a little imagination and work, the old furniture turned out very nice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails