Saturday, April 20, 2013



When I was in middle school, I was on a church quiz team.  We had to memorize some chapters and verses in the Bible, and then our quiz team competed with other church teams in knowing and reciting the memorized pieces.  Every week we would meet together with our gifted leader, and every week she would drill us.  Interestingly enough, I can still recall with clarity, the content of it all.  This week, one of those verses lodged itself in my heart and mind;

Phillipians 4:8  "Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are nobel, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, if there is any virture and if there is anything praiseworthy...meditate on these things."

Today, I appreciate the freedom we still have in America.
            I appreciate all the law enforcement, the squat teams, the EMTs,
            the surgeons, and all those who put their lives on the line to protect.

            I appreciate the laws of our land and the fact that we still want to
            enforce the "right" and "wrong" of decisions made. 

            I appreciate the fact that Americans come together, neighbors,
            families, friends, and those who never met each other, come together
            to help one another in times of devastation.

            Most of all, I appreciate the fact that I can fill my mind with the
            things in life that are good and worthwhile.  I still have the freedom
            to read my Bible and find there so much hope and encouragement.

            So today, in spite of all that life sends, I quietly treasure the verse
            I learned long ago in middle school, in the recesses of my heart.
            And I am seeing all the beauty as Springtime breaks forth
            around me. 

I long to appreciate and focus on the good today.  That reminds me to tell you all just how much I appreciate each of you too.  Thank you for stopping by.  I pray that you will be shown something lovely today.

Speaking of beauty, I found this picture in an older copy of "Country Living" magazine, and I liked it's simplicity.

 
 
 

8 comments:

Debbie said...

LOVED this!! That verse has always been one of my VERY favorites. I just love it! It's as if the Lord is giving us permission to "set" our minds on that which blesses us, lifts us up, makes us smile and brings us joy. You have certainly given us many reasons to do so this morning. Have a lovely day!

lindsey said...

Great post Judy , I love that verse. I would love to be able to memorise scripture but always find it so hard. Have a great weekend!

Melinda said...

We as Americans do have many blessings to be thankful for!

We have so many beautiful things around us.

M :)

Stacey said...

So true my friend. :)

20 North Ora said...

Does it amaze you that you can remember Bible verses you learned as a child? It does me. At the most proper times, those verses pop into my mind. I'm thankful that the Lord keeps those precious words of advice in our memory.

Judy

Judy said...

Regardless of the mess around us...we can still think on those things that are good, pure and lovely. Thanks for the reminder. And you always have something beautiful over here for us!

Happy@Home said...

In the midst of so much tragedy, it can be hard to remember that there is still a lot of good out there. Your post today has been a lovely reminder of all that we have to be thankful for.
The daffodil picture is very pretty.

Christine said...

What a wonderful and timely recollection.
God is good. He knows just what is needed and when.

I'm singing praises today!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails