Thursday, July 17, 2008

Quick, Easy and Delicious Summer Desserts

II am always looking for quick, easy , inexpensive desserts, but they must taste delicious...who would want to waste calories on something that was not that way? I have memories of orange creme popcicles from summers long ago. This dessert always takes me back to those days. I simply layer orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream in little juice glasses, topped with cool whip and orange slice. I store them in the freezer until right before serving. It might take you back to your popcicle days ,too.
I was delighted to discover these snack size ice cream bars at the grocery store on Tuesday. I have served the regular sized vanilla and almond bars, at dinner parties in the past, but they were too big for a luncheon. These "snack size" bars are perfect when you just want a little something sweet after the main course. I added ribbons to the wooden sticks, just for fun. You can serve them individually on glass plates with lace doilies. How easy and how delicious!!
I also discovered Mrs. Field's chocolate chip cookies filled with vanilla ice cream. I rolled each one in pastel, sugared confetti. I did it all ahead of time, covered the plate and put it back in the freezer until serving time. I served these to the children at a family dinner a few weeks ago, and they were a big hit. Perfect combination...chocolate chip cookies and vanilla ice cream. If you have time to make your own cookies, that would work also.
Over the years, my mother has used these sugar free dessert shells for many different desserts that she has served. You can buy them in vanilla or chocolate. I often keep them in my freezer to whip out if guests stop in. Today, I filled them with blueberry "Yoplait Thick & Creamy" yogurt, fresh sweet blueberries and topped it off, with light "Cool Whip". At times, I use one dip of vanilla ice cream with the fresh blueberries mixed with blueberry pie filling. Actually, the possibilites are endless when it comes to fillings for these simple little shells. But, it always looks like you spent alot of time, when you serve them. Anyone of the above mentioned desserts would be perfect to use as gifts or for an afternoon tea party on the porch. Hope you enjoy them! Judy

2 comments:

Jeane` said...

Mom,
I'm sure you might be tired of getting comments from me, but I sure don't get tired of reading your blog, and even taste test some of your creations!!! Beautiful entry....keep it up!
Love you,
Jeane`

ajwatson722 said...

This is your son Matthew and I must say I wish I could taste all that was described and pictured above. Instead, I suppose I'll have frozen pizza for breakfast and maybe I'll put some light whip cream and blueberries on top. I owe you for such wonderful ideas!!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails