Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Berry Special Treat



It has arrived...the season of my very favorite fruit, strawberries. I spent many a summer at my grandma's farm, picking strawberries in the field with her, putting them in boxes, then selling them at the roadside stand at the end of her driveway. I clearly remember her giving me a nickel for each box picked.
I have included some important facts about strawberries that might help you serve them as much as possible during the season;



A Word About Berries.

Berries of all kinds comprise some of the healthiest foods known. The amount of vitamin C found in one cup of strawberries is comparable to the amount found in orange juice, but with one big plus, strawberries contain fewer calories. Raspberries contain vitamin C and potassium. Blueberries and other berries are low in calories, but pack a healthy punch.

-lifescript.com

Five minutes from my house, is an amazing produce stand owed and operated by our dear Amish friends. Their berries are huge as you can see, and they taste so sweet.
Here are a few of my favorite ways to serve these beautiful berries. These parfaits are layered with small pieces of angel food cake, a combination of "Dannon Light and Fit" vanilla yogurt, Light Cool Whip and a sprinkling of dry Strawberry jello mixed together, then sliced fresh strawberries and a repeat of all layers. Refrigerated until ready to serve, even if not until the next day.



I make lots of pink lemonade ice cubes with pieces of strawberries and blueberries in each one. I make these ahead of time and keep them in a large plastic container in my freezer. When guests stop in, I whip up some lemonade and several of these ice cubes. It looks good and tastes great, eliminating watered down lemonade.

Another one of my favorite ways to serve strawberries is to use chunks of pound cake and strawberries alternately on wooden skewers. For the dip, I use strawberry cream cheese dip mixed with light cool whip. It is a delicious combination.

No matter how you serve this popular fruit, it will taste like summer and maybe you too, will reminded of cherished memories in the strawberry patch. Judy








2 comments:

Jeane` said...

Wow! I feel like I'm reading an article straight out of a book from Sandra Lee!!! You did a fabulous job posting AND with the content. Makes me want to run out and find myself a bowl of berries!
Love,
Jeane`

The lady of the house... said...

you MUST write a book! people NEED what you have! it's amazing!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails