Friday, January 9, 2009

Nothing Like a Hot Bowl of Chili On a Cold Winter's Evening


When I make Chili, I like to make a big portion and freeze it in smaller portions for future meals. I made this large pot of Chili yesterday. When I thought about sharing this recipe on my blog I almost decided against it. The reason being, is that I created this recipe myself. My family does not care for spicy Chili, or too many red-skinned beans Chili, or too sweet Chili. So, I created my own recipe for my family's taste buds. I am well aware of the fact that for those of you who enjoy a bowl of Chili, you probably have your own recipe, and this might not be to your liking. I decided to share it with you even after thinking through the above thoughts.


In a big pot on the stove, I saute' 1/2 of a chopped small onion. I add a 4 lb. package of lean ground beef. I break it up into small chunks, and brown thoroughly. I totally drain the browned ground beef and add 1 package of McCormick mild Chili seasoning and 2 Tbs. of water. Stir over low heat until mixed. At this point I add all of the cans pictured above; 2 cans of Bush's Chili Magic- Traditional Mild Chili starter, 2 cans of tomato soup plus 1 can of water, 2 cans of light red kidney beans, 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar, 1 tea. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 2 bay leaves and 1 large can of petite cut diced tomatoes. As you can deduct from the ingredients, this is an easy recipe. I let it simmer on the stove for 20 minutes on low heat, then remove the bay leaves.

I have made these biscuits often, and if time is limited they are my choice. To the dry packet of "Three cheese Bisquick Biscuits", I add 1/2 cup of water and kneed to dough. I put the dough in my small muffin tin that I spray with Pam. I add a small dab of butter to the top of each muffin before baking. I like to make these right before serving, since they taste so good right out of the oven. They are the perfect biscuit to serve with a cup of Chili.


Whether I serve my Chili in a bowl or in a cup, I always add shredded cheese and broken pieces of french fried onions. To me and my family, this is the recipe we would choose, and we think the additions on the top make it even better. If you were here, I would love to serve a cup of it to you so that you could form your own opinion.

3 comments:

LisaShaw said...

OH JUDY!! My husband and I are big Chili eaters. I make my own. It's a little spicy. I've been cooking it for 18 years. We love it!

Thanks for sharing. I stuck my (clean) finger through the computer screen and tasted yours. It was delicious! (smile)

SeaWorthy said...

Im on my way..have the bowl ready!!

We are headed out to the beach for a clam digging weekend, this is going to be the perfect PERFECT dinner.Looks easy too!
Thanks, girly. Im making that.
Lisa
coastal nest

Jen said...

I can attest to how delicious this chili is! I was luckily the recipient of this chili a few nights ago. One of the MANY most thoughtful gifts I have received from this generous woman! Judy - it was the most perfect night for me to have your chili on hand as we had a very busy evening. Thank you so much - James & I devoured every bit!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails